Can't land commandos in Market Garden?

Ask, comment, read.
Shimbo
Colonel

Re: Can't land commandos in Market Garden?

Unread postby Shimbo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:06 pm

I also noticed that the same issue occurs on the Elbe scenario. I couldn't to land my commandos anywhere along the North Sea coast in that scenario either.

Articwulf
Captain

Unread postby Articwulf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Can someone post a picture of the game map?

Spaceman95
Major General

Unread postby Spaceman95 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Shimbo wrote:I also noticed that the same issue occurs on the Elbe scenario. I couldn't to land my commandos anywhere along the North Sea coast in that scenario either.

This may well be meta, given that the North Sea coast was still fairly well fortified. Certainly in Arnhem, unless the Scheldt is cracked, Commando landings wouldn#t be possible. Similarly, until Texel and the North Sea fortifications were reduced, landing in Zuiderzee would not be possible. Again, good plan, but not realistic.

For the Elbe scenario, trickier - the coast was still fortified and held, even if that does not come across (the units have melted by the time you get up there). No real need to land from the North Sea anyway. If you were thinking of landing from the Baltic to get one of the final objectives, well the Allied fleets had zero 'sea power' in the Baltic, in addition to somehow getting past Denmark. Whereas the remnants of the German navy could still oppose a landing there (if they weren't busy rescuing civilians and troops) better than at any other point in the western campaign.

I think the injunction is OK for the Zuiderzee/North Sea.

But not in the east Adriatic...

sourdust
Brigadier General

Unread postby sourdust » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:24 am

I think it may be a question of fog of war. If memory serves, you can only land the amphibious unit cards in a hex that you have full visibility of, which in practical terms usually limits their use to within a hex or two of the front line. Aerial recon won't help, but the Ultra card (which removes FoW entirely) would.

I haven't tested this, so not entirely sure. I only purchased an amphibious unit once, and immediately judged it to be far less useful than a paratrooper!

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:42 am

sourdust wrote:If memory serves, you can only land the amphibious unit cards in a hex that you have full visibility of, which in practical terms usually limits their use to within a hex or two of the front line. Aerial recon won't help, but the Ultra card (which removes FoW entirely) would.

This is correct.

orionpax
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby orionpax » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:06 am

Not only is Texel fortified. There is also the Afsluitdijk which makes it impossible to enter the Zuiderzee unless you have access to the lock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.