my campaign at classic lvl

Ask, comment, read.
genBrooks
Brigadier General

my campaign at classic lvl

Unread postby genBrooks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:57 am

Hi,

I managed to get Rome earlier, so I chose the plan to end the war faster (at least in Italy)
I finished Rush for Apennines masterfully 8-) , but the next map (Road from Rimini) is really demanding.
I don't want to bang my head against the wall, so I'm moving to Normandy now... But I'll be back :P

uoc camp classic.jpg

20191119005410_1.jpg

20191119014059_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

juxur
Second Lieutenant

Re: my campaign at classic lvl

Unread postby juxur » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:16 am

I had to abandon my classic campaign with Rush for Apennines because of the Road from Rimini scenario. I managed to take everything but Udine a couple of times but couldn't take Udine with the tank divisions I managed to get next to the city.

genBrooks
Brigadier General

Unread postby genBrooks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:21 pm

juxur wrote:I had to abandon my classic campaign with Rush for Apennines because of the Road from Rimini scenario. I managed to take everything but Udine a couple of times but couldn't take Udine with the tank divisions I managed to get next to the city.

It's a shame that there isn't third path, for such players who have chosen a risky plan but they aren't able to perform it :(
For example, when I accomplished Rush for Apennines I should have an option to return the safe path (Gothic line), in such situation when Road from Rimini is too difficult for me at this moment
I mean I don't want to restart all campaign another time :cry:
Second try below:

20191119191133_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rommel
Brigadier General

Unread postby Rommel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Hopefully, they ll add the third path.

Maybe yscenario based on hypothetical ARMPIT? Amphibious landing on eastern Adriatic coast? And then after successful landing, you get Ljubljana gap scenario? Or directly on Zagreb.

Spaceman95
Major General

Unread postby Spaceman95 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 pm

That would be interesting. Right now you can't land marines in Istria :((( This means only paras can get you Pola, once you get to the coast within 6 hexes, but you are sacrificing them if they are not a full division, and/or you have not pinned down 7 SS PE Mtn. (A brigade-level can be suppressed fully by the diabolical German air and then annihilated by a strong ground unit)

Roads is doable in Normal, I did not have to use motorisation to get a clean sweep. I have not tried Classic yet (1 less turn, would have caused problems to get Pola). It is all down to a particular series on 1st turn moves, smart use of bridging (go west my son), and not allowing both critical bridges on the way to Udine and Trieste to be blown.
Also: engineers.

Spaceman95
Major General

Unread postby Spaceman95 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 pm

But I am curious to see what happens on the next conference, given that I have got to Trieste.

I find Ljubljana Gap impossible even on Easy...

genBrooks
Brigadier General

Unread postby genBrooks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:57 pm

I've just started campaign once again (classic)

Spaceman95
Major General

Unread postby Spaceman95 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:00 am

Rommel wrote:Hopefully, they ll add the third path.

Maybe yscenario based on hypothetical ARMPIT? Amphibious landing on eastern Adriatic coast? And then after successful landing, you get Ljubljana gap scenario? Or directly on Zagreb.

Who came up with ARMPIT as a codename! Also, how is it armpit, next to the leg of Italy. I guess it could have been worse.

Of course, the guys are from Zagreb, hence the Ljubljana gap focus and detail (unique theatre treatment in op wargames)
Last edited by Spaceman95 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaliyama
Newcomer

Unread postby kaliyama » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:36 am

yeah realizing you could end up in a cul de sac dead end (especially when you don't know what units are going to survive or matter later on - further on down that track the game decides the 5th army wouldn't advance any further and leaves you with only the 8th - which has a historic logic to it but from a game perspective you need to either know that or be able to reallocate steps between US and UK forces for it to work).

what this means is that i am effectively "brute forcing" the campaign by restarting it, getting further along to see what units persist and what armies will be involved, and then restarting multiple times to get a viable playthrough. this is really bad design and when i realized how un-fun this was part-way through the third campaign i just uninstalled and left a negative review. i'm hoping devs do revisit all of these decisions so it can be as fun a game as the first one. all of the elements are here but they really didn't think things through fully and now we're paying to beta test. i would refund if i could.

my advice is to hold off for 3-6 months and see what they can do to turn things around. not worth full price until they do.

DanL
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby DanL » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:51 am

It would be helpful if there was a way to rewind your campaign back to the beginning of any battle, like there was in UoC1.