Canadian First Army during Unthinkable?

Ask, comment, read.
Alarrow
Second Lieutenant

Canadian First Army during Unthinkable?

Unread postby Alarrow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Although the British 2nd Army has elements of the British 8th and Canadian 1st Army, I was curious what the Canadian 1st Army would be doing during Unthinkable? Like I think we're led to believe the British 8th and American 5th are taking a defensive posture in the south running from Czechoslovakia to Slovenia, which explains their lack of inclusion. I suppose my running theory is they'd either be kept in reserve to help support the American 1st and British 2nd, why securing allied gains in Germany and Denmark. On the War map, we see that the allies have liberated Norway before Unthinkable. I'm curious since the Canadian force liberated Denmark in Operation Paperclip. Would they have gone and been used in an expanded Operation Doomsday? (British paratroopers landing in Norway) It would make for a fun additional scenario to have a mixed force of British/Canadian/Free Norwegian Units liberating the country in April/May of 45. Thoughts?

Stahlgewitter
Colonel

Re: Canadian First Army during Unthinkable?

Unread postby Stahlgewitter » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Totally. Anything that makes use of the Norway map is to be welcomed.

Spaceman95
Major General

Unread postby Spaceman95 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm

Alarrow wrote:Although the British 2nd Army has elements of the British 8th and Canadian 1st Army, I was curious what the Canadian 1st Army would be doing during Unthinkable? Like I think we're led to believe the British 8th and American 5th are taking a defensive posture in the south running from Czechoslovakia to Slovenia, which explains their lack of inclusion. I suppose my running theory is they'd either be kept in reserve to help support the American 1st and British 2nd, why securing allied gains in Germany and Denmark. On the War map, we see that the allies have liberated Norway before Unthinkable. I'm curious since the Canadian force liberated Denmark in Operation Paperclip. Would they have gone and been used in an expanded Operation Doomsday? (British paratroopers landing in Norway) It would make for a fun additional scenario to have a mixed force of British/Canadian/Free Norwegian Units liberating the country in April/May of 45. Thoughts?

Nice Idea!

sourdust
Brigadier General

Unread postby sourdust » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:37 am

Great idea!

An opposed Norway '45 operation has been on my list of western front stand-alone scenarios I would like to do - others include the proposed para-drop on Rome, the para-drop on Paris option for Normandy, and Churchill's various plans for liberating Norway in 1941, 1942, 1943...

But the truth is work on DLCs will keep me pretty well occupied. I reckon you should give it a crack in the scenario editor!