Mediterranean Theater Expansion - Scenario Suggestion

Ask, comment, read.
JBerg2021
Captain

Mediterranean Theater Expansion - Scenario Suggestion

Unread postby JBerg2021 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:25 pm

I've noticed that there's a bit of a gap in the Mediterranean campaign, if you manage to take Rome in early 1944 but don't take Trieste in the immediate aftermath. The US 5th and BR 8th armies just kind of disappear at this point, and it seems like this middle path is just a tad bit incomplete. It would be great to see maybe two more scenarios down this middle alternate path to keep up with an alternate history projection, and to establish a little more logic behind the US 5th Army not showing up on the German border (or as units in the 7th Army).

1. In late 1944, it seems reasonable that the Allied Armies in Italy/15th Army Group would have conducted an operation to secure/liberate Yugoslavia. The British were in Greece in October during the civil war, and if the 8th Army is sitting just across the river from Trieste it seems like most of Yugoslavia south of Slovenia would be ripe for the pickings. This scenario could primarily be a stretched supply line challange where you want to take as much as possible before the Soviets arrive (large area, short time frame).

2. In March of 1945, it seems very likely that the 15th Army Group would have conducted a campaign into Austria at the same time as the Soviets launched Operation Spring Awakening. This could be a large map challenge like those along the Rhine, where the push could go from the Slovenian border all the way up to Bohemia if the player moves fast enough. Shattered but elite and heavy German armored formations arriving in the wake of Spring Awakening could up the challenge late in the scenario.

Obviously I could just replay Road from Rimini until I get to Trieste, but there's a certain emptiness to the current tree down this one particular potential path that I think could make the choice not to keep replaying Rimini more meaningful (and potentially less frustrating) for a player.

Oh, also, the scenario description for Lombardy-Liguria has August 1st as the start date, but the in-scenario turn tracker starts on September 1st.

the_flyingdutchman
Captain

Re: Mediterranean Theater Expansion - Scenario Suggestion

Unread postby the_flyingdutchman » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:21 am

I completely agree with it. Especially, I wanted to play liberating balkan scenario with joint Allies-Yugolsav Partisan operation(although they were communist, Tito's Partisan had great relationship with Western Allies).
And if you complete 'Lombardy-Liguria' and follow historical track after 'Market Garden', some French units in 'Po Valley' should appear in 'Rhin et Danube'

Alarrow
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Alarrow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 pm

An interesting oversight, I hadn't thought about it till you mentioned it, and it does seem rather odd, though, doesn't it. I agree with you that logically, the allies wouldn't just leave two armies to rot in the field, especially if some vulnerability could be found in the Balkans. If the British aren't going to push the Gap, it stands to reason that the allies would attempt to liberate Yugoslavia, having overcome the gothic line with minimal casualties. Because of the formal connection with Titos partisans, hosting the Yougolsavian government-in-exile in London, and just the general chaos of tying more German troops down in the Balkans. On a side note for the Balkins, I think it a bit odd there isn't an additional scenario between pushing the gap and the march on Vienna. It's teased that the US 5th army is guarding the British 8th's flank. It's implied they're fighting Croatian and German troops in the remnants of fascist Croatia. It just would have been a fun additional scenario for the Balkins, I thought and given the US 5th more content.

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:39 pm

This was planned, but at the time we didn't have the resources to map the area, make more unit models and design the scenarios. :)

Cheers!

Rommel
Brigadier General

Unread postby Rommel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Danielefc wrote:This was planned, but at the time we didn't have the resources to map the area, make more unit models and design the scenarios. :)

Cheers!

That is interesting to hear. Is there a chance those scenarios will be included in the near future?

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:57 am

Rommel wrote:
That is interesting to hear. Is there a chance those scenarios will be included in the near future?

"kind of" :lol:

(Sorry can't be more specific right now :oops: )

Rommel
Brigadier General

Unread postby Rommel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:39 am

That will suffice for now :)

I suppose that going East is a priority at the moment