AI is not subject to ZOC rules

Ask, comment, read.
sajer
Cadet

AI is not subject to ZOC rules

Unread postby sajer » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:25 am

I have witnessed many times where an enemy unit enter my unit's ZOC and continues moving. According to the rules entering a ZOC expends all movement points and locks the AP.

Am I wrong in this analysis, is this intentional, or something else...?

uran21
2x2 Games

Re: AI is not subject to ZOC rules

Unread postby uran21 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:45 am

Units project ZoC in hexes adjacent to them AND hex has to be owned by unit's faction. This part is slightly different from some other games. So there is no ZoC projection on enemy owned territory. If one unit enters your ZoC and gets possession of territory, your unit is not projecting ZoC there anymore and all subsequent enemy units may pass through it.

sajer
Cadet

Unread postby sajer » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:35 pm

uran21 wrote:Units project ZoC in hexes adjacent to them AND hex has to be owned by unit's faction. This part is slightly different from some other games. So there is no ZoC projection on enemy owned territory. If one unit enters your ZoC and gets possession of territory, your unit is not projecting ZoC there anymore and all subsequent enemy units may pass through it.

You're right, subsequent enemy units may pass through, but what I have noticed is that the same enemy unit that enters my hex (ZOC) and takes possession of it can follow through (and wreck havoc on my supply lines). I notice this mostly with Polish cavalry, FWIW.

No one else noticed this?

sourdust
Brigadier General

Unread postby sourdust » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:13 am

Are you sure you have a ZOC in the relevant hex? ZOCs are not projected by weak units (less than 3 active steps), so if you have a unit with lots of suppression on it, it may not be exerting a ZOC. ZOC is also blocked by some terrain.

If these aren't possibilities, send through a replay or post a video of the offending cavalry!

C

sajer
Cadet

Unread postby sajer » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:13 pm

I think you are right, my units that I thought were protecting my supply lines with their ZOC were probably weak and the AI exploited that and maybe I didn't take notice of that fact. Haven't had another playthrough yet, I'll be on the lookout for better evidence, if it exists. Since no one has noticed the same thing it probably doesn't and it was my mistake.

Thanks!