Possible Pacific Theater DLCs?

Ask, comment, read.
JBerg2021
Captain

Possible Pacific Theater DLCs?

Unread postby JBerg2021 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:02 pm

I'm just wondering if adding the Pacific theater is under consideration as a possible future path for the game? Island hopping is an especially complicated aspect to add, and many of those battles lasted much longer than the turns in the European campaigns tend to represent (and last), but considering how well the existing material can simulate a grinding campaign of attrition, I thought it might actually be able to do a really good job in the island campaigns (and of course there's the Sino-Japanese War if you want to spend more time on a war of movement).

Also, and I know this is a little far fetched, I would actually be really interested in a WWI campaign, especially the campaigns in 1914 on each front. But that would probably be a bigger haul.

Rommel
Brigadier General

Re: Possible Pacific Theater DLCs?

Unread postby Rommel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Not sure about Pacific War, as the naval and air component is important there...and it is quite abstract in UoC2

But Sino Japanese war...that would be just great

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:27 pm

Pacific won't happen any time soon. It would be more of a UoC3 thing if it ever does, as it would require some hefty new mechanics and redesign in general. The biggest elefant here is naval warfare. Naval warfare doesn't mix well with land warfare. And imo combining the two has never truly been "cracked" by any game. Then there is the matter of scale: we would probably need to go down to regimental level combat, or possibly even battalion. And at that point we would need to consider ranged attacks. And then there is the air warfare...

I'm gonna stop here and just say: it's a can of worms in terms of design :ugeek:

Personally I would love to give it a try (I think :lol: ). But in terms of time required and money spent... It's a whole new game. Time will tell :)

Cheers!

JBerg2021
Captain

Unread postby JBerg2021 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:11 pm

All fair points, and kind of what I expected. I would say that some of the later battles could be simulated (I'm thinking the Philippines and the planned invasion of Japan) under the current mechanics, but the early war is definitely tricky. About the only large battles that spanned significant land mass outside of mainland Asia were in New Guinea.