Axis Campaign - Sickle Stroke

Ask, comment, read.
MrTomnus
Cadet

Axis Campaign - Sickle Stroke

Unread postby MrTomnus » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm posting here for the first time, as a massive fan of this game - apparantly i have spent 200hrs in game according to Steam! I'm really enjoying the new Blitzkrieg DLC, it has lots of interesting challenges and it feels like a very different campaign to Victory in the West.

I have a question with regards to the Sickle Stroke scenario during Fall Gelb.

There is a railway line running along the bottom of the playable map, where it intersects what i believe is the Meuse river the bridge itself doesn't seem to be "on map" so units crossing have a river crossing penalty and most crucially supplies do not carry over. Is this an intentional design feature? I hadn't noticed until i turned on hexes on the menu.

This is a minor issue for me but i wanted to point this out in case anyone else had the same problem :)

uran21
2x2 Games

Re: Axis Campaign - Sickle Stroke

Unread postby uran21 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:38 pm

I planed my advance according to that bottom rail line to realize some parts of it are on "half hexes" making it out of the map and supply not going through.

This is what happens when you zoom out to check supply sources, yours, and of the enemy.

Other than that I think it is by design but it would be better if part of the rail is actually grayed out with out of play area marker. For example in Low Countries scenario hex south of Liege was marked as out of play which effectively broke the railway line there.

If comforts you, you are not alone stumbling on that issue. There are two of us :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum!

Tac Error
Cadet

Unread postby Tac Error » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:14 pm

I noticed this too, and I wonder if it was intentional so that the player was forced to use features like Oversupply and to consider that they had to take an out-of-supply risk (and subsequently, a risk that they might not be able to dislodge any defenders there due to the "no attacks beginning with turn 2 unsupplied" rule) to grab Arras and Abbeville.

MrTomnus
Cadet

Unread postby MrTomnus » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:37 am

Glad i'm not the only one to notice this :) Usually i look during the planning phase but didn't notice the half-hex.

I was successful in the end and was impressed by how challenging the scenario felt, i also took more losses than i would normally feel comfortable taking as it felt like i was against the clock. I was able to get my panzers behind the French forces blocking me in the centre of the map via the Dinant crossing, only to be savaged by a big armour counter-attack around Arras! Now i know how Rommel felt... still i am victorious and on to the next!

I have already decided that once i finish this campaign i will restart and pursue the Alt-History path.