Dukla Pass

Post your scenarios here.
sourdust
Brigadier General

Dukla Pass

Unread postby sourdust » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:44 am

I've just posted a new scenario called "Dukla Pass", which covers the Soviet Carpathian-Dukla Operation and the National Slovak Uprising. Historically, the Russian offensive was stalled with very heavy losses, and the Slovak insurgents were crushed. Can you do better?

Notes:

The Slovak National Uprising began on 29 August 1944, and quickly established a hold on much of central Slovakia. On 8 September, the Soviets launched a hasty attack on the Dukla Pass, seeking to cross the Carpathian mountains at that point and link up with the Slovak insurgents.

The Soviet offensive was poorly planned and executed. What was meant to be a 5-day sweep to the town of Presov turned into a 2-month long slog, with perhaps as many as 160,000 Russian and Czechoslovak casualties, against about half that for the Germans. It was a grinding operation, which never came close to the intended breakthrough.

As the Russians were bogged in the Dukla Pass, the Nazis had time to assemble a hodgepodge force of security, training and reserve units, later supplemented by several SS formations, to battle the Slovak insurgents.

Aside from a Czechoslovak parachute brigade and a fighter regiment flown into the insurgent enclave, the Slovaks received little support from Moscow or the Western Allies. Poor coordination and in-fighting among rebel factions hampered their efforts further. Organised resistance ended on 28 October, 2 months after the insurgency began. Most of Slovakia would not be finally be liberated until March-April 1945.

Scenario briefing.

In this scenario, you are in charge of the Slovak insurgents (represented by Bulgarian troops in the game, since there are no pro-Russian Slovak forces) as well as the Red Army storming the Dukla Pass. Look for opportunities to use the insurgents aggressively, by taking out disrupted or weak German formations. But take care, the Germans will counterattack and seek to take Banska Bytrica!

In real life, two veteran Slovak divisions were disarmed by the Germans at the outset of the uprising, due to poor communication and coordination by the insurgents. If you like, you can purchase these 2 divisions and deploy them on turn one near Kosice, which makes seizing the pass much easier. However, a brilliant victory is still possible without buying these 2 prestige units.

The Slovak, German and Red Army orders of battle are all approximate, as good clear info on the battle is hard to come by. This is very much on one of the “forgotten battles” of the Eastern Front, despite the ferocity of the fighting and high casualties involved. Like Narva, it’s a battle the post-war Soviet regime preferred to ignore.

A note on time scales: the UoC engine is set at 4 days/turn, but this scenario works better if you think of each turn as 6-7 days – which is also how I’ve pegged the reinforcement schedule.

This is version one, and some tweaking may still be necessary. Getting the AI to do what I want was particularly tricky, given the complexity of the front lines and the fact that the Germans are meant to be defending the pass at the same time as they should be attacking the Slovak insurgents.

I’d be grateful for any feedback!

Pannoniae
Major

Re: Dukla Pass

Unread postby Pannoniae » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Hello sourdust!

I've attached two files, with turn-length 6 and 7, respectively. Also, fixed a few typos and added 'fixed by me'. If you want it though, I can remove the my name...

Best regards,
Panno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pannoniae
Major

Unread postby Pannoniae » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:27 pm

sorry... I forgot it, but also changed the map to black turn, because it is slightly nicer than RT (it got cleared up in a few places)

sourdust
Brigadier General

Unread postby sourdust » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks Panno! That's very generous of you.

Big thanks for fixing up the typos, wherever they were. I'll incorporate all that into a next version. I think the scenario can be improved a bit. How did you find it?

I'll be happy if I can get the AI to stop disbanding the units that should be attacking the Slovaks, which it seems to do too readily.

Pannoniae
Major

Unread postby Pannoniae » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi!

Sadly I know nothing about the AI, and my eyes got hurt while viewing the src for it... (just kidding)
I simply edited the scenario by hand. Just change the extension to .zip, and you are done :D
There are a few things not covered by the scenario editor, but they are in the raw files, so you can edit them.

Pannoniae
Major

Unread postby Pannoniae » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Nevermind, managed it.
http://github.com/Pannoniae/uoc-patch
Install Python 3.6, put it into game root, and run uoc-patch.py

It may crash or cause bugs, because it is basically disassembling the game, and may not be 100% accurate.
Hopefully, it only updates AI, so there should be no impact on your gameplay, and those.

Panno :)