Community PvP maps/ rebalancing of existing PvP maps

Post your scenarios here.
spillblood
Major General

Community PvP maps/ rebalancing of existing PvP maps

Unread postby spillblood » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey, since there are hardly any PvP maps, I want to refer to this thread in the scenario discussion forums, especially the last answer by Tomislav. Arctic-Nation and me have tested some of the stock PvP scenarios contained in Red Turn and found that some of them are pretty unbalanced. I took part in the beta for Red Turn, but if I remember correctly those maps weren't playtested by the active betatesters back then, which is why some of them are nearly unwinnable for one of the two sides (mostly the Germans are favoured). Since there are some Community maps I've already tested with my brother (the normal SP versions since you can play all SP maps in MP) that seem pretty well balanced for Multiplayer maybe some of them could be modified for PvP? Please take a look at the following thread (on Tomislav's responses):
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2097
He's suggesting that the Community could also help them in rebalancing the existing PvP maps.

Arctic-Nation
Major

Re: Community PvP maps/ rebalancing of existing PvP maps

Unread postby Arctic-Nation » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:23 am

I find the biggest issue in rebalancing scenarios in how to make them winnable on the map, not on points, for the defending side. Most, if not all, SP scenarios are set up in such a way that the defenders simply don't have the manpower to perform an offensive strong enough to take any objective added when converting to MP. Then again, increasing the defender's strength would result in a massive slug-fest, abandoning any semblance of blitzkrieg or deep operations that make the game unpredictable and fun to play.
I'm not sure in how far the game can currently handle purely defensive operations. I'll try setting up a map where the defenders have some objectives inside their own territory, which might allow us to abandon the current, rather silly score difference system and replace it with something slightly less so.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Hmm, I think a side only gets points when capturing an objective, not for holding. But it's worth trying.

Arctic-Nation
Major

Unread postby Arctic-Nation » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Yeah, it would have to be obvious objectives, right next to a movable unit, outside of critical locations, with a score only awarded on the first turn. Additionally, no turn limitations on offensive objectives. A very inelegant solution, but it might be the best we can work with under the current limitations.

For example: 5 Axis objectives, 3 Soviet intraterritorial objectives. Soviets take their objectives on turn 1, receiving 150 points. If Axis can take 3 or more of their own objectives (more than 150 points), they win. If they can't take three objectives, they lose. It solves the clear the map, lose the scenario problem, and still allows one side to conduct a purely defensive operation. It might not work on those move, move, move scenarios with relatively few units, but it might be good enough for those with sizable forces in close proximity.

Arctic-Nation
Major

Unread postby Arctic-Nation » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Actually, after playing Lower Dniepr, I see that it's not necessary to give objectives to the defending side, there's just a minimum score for the attacker to gain. That's a lot simpler, obviously.