[RT] Winter Solstice

Post your scenarios here.
T_Minus
Second Lieutenant

[RT] Winter Solstice

Unread postby T_Minus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 am

Axis Scenario, Army Group Vistula vs. 1st + 2nd Blr Fronts

Overview:
Operation Solstice (German: Unternehmen Sonnenwende), the German counter-offensive against the 1st Belorussian Front, to cut off and destroy the leading elements of Georgy Zhukov's forces east of the Oder.

Startdate: Feb 15th, 1945

In this scn, Axis player's goal is to deliver a decisive blow against the Soviet spearheads, and to restore an orderly situation in the Vistula region, even with limited resources.

Fortress Posen will usually be gone after the first turn, removed as a victory location for playability, but scn will still be pretty hard. Expect a tough grind ahead!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by T_Minus on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

T_Minus
Second Lieutenant

Re: Winter Solstice

Unread postby T_Minus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Some AI hints and Soviet assets added, updated file in OP.

Mandrake48
First Lieutenant

Re: [RT] Winter Solstice

Unread postby Mandrake48 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:51 pm

This looks a fantastic scenario. Thanks very much, can't wait to give it a try.

T_Minus
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby T_Minus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Hope you like it yes

Mandrake48
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Mandrake48 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:18 pm

That was a lot of fun. I've only played through once and failed pretty spectacularly.

I attacked south with armoured forces towards the north bank of the Oder, hoping to encircle the Soviet armoured spearhead, but was unable to complete the encirclement and the majority of their mechanized and armoured formations escaped eastwards. That ultimately proved decisive. While the first objective was taken with light losses by turn four my northern flank was being pummelled by the Soviets and was on the brink of disintegrating.

I diverted most of my armoured units north to support the flank while driving two mechanized divisions east against a now exposed Soviet front, but by turn 6 the whole northern flank was in disarray. I abandoned the Vistula in an attempt to shore up my front along the Baltic, encircling some Soviet armoured divisions, but by that stage my forces were too weak to make much of a move on the second objective.

On turn 7 the encircled garrison of Danzig fell and all I could do in the remaining two turns was whittle down the Soviet forces and stabilise the front running south from the railroad town down to the Oder.

Great work with this scenario. It plays well and seems like it will be a tough nut to crack. Thanks!

dmcheng
First Lieutenant

Unread postby dmcheng » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:24 pm

A very good challenge. I've played several times and have not been able to win. I haven't figured out the right balance of forces between the south and the central efforts. The next time I play, I will also try marching the Posen unit east to try and disrupt the Soviet supply as long as possible.

Thanks for making the scenario.

T_Minus
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby T_Minus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 pm

I think reaching the warthe river or one hex from it within turn 1 (with minimal losses at best) with one of the elite units, to block the Soviets' way out of the salient is essential for victory. Subsequently I race towards 2nd objective with the mobile troops, and an important move should be to cut the southern railroad line. Then the opposing units at the oder, beeing out of supply, will easily get mopped up by your second-line units. Otherwise, the high difficulty is intentional, since you are required to stand against the Soviet onslaught with merely understrength and ad-hoc units. Good luck commanders!

Mandrake48
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Mandrake48 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:55 am

I had a slightly better result with my second play through. Instead of attempting to cut off the Soviet spearhead's route of retreat north of the Oder I focused on destroying their most effective formations with some success while establishing a far more resilient line of defence in the north, occupying significant enemy forces throughout the scenario. Although I managed to destroy virtually all Soviet armoured or mechanised divisions and deploy the majority of my armoured forces against the second objective by turn 8 I couldn't quite take it!

I think my original strategy, and the one you recommend T_Minus, combined with a more efficient northern defence might just lead to victory within the time limit.

Brilliant victory though? Could be a while.. :D

Heinlager
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Heinlager » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Really like this scenario, nice job.

Got a brilliant victory on my fourth attempt by throwing everything i could down the center to cut of the salient and stop the soviet armor from withdrawing. A real tough nut to crack yet still very achievable :D

luczed
First Lieutenant

Unread postby luczed » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello, great work mate, I got a brilliant vicotry in 6 turns at my second attempt, the AI is kinda exploitable: they're gonna waste a lot of their unity to go for gaps in your line in the center, ignoring the fact that you're gonna stay supplied anyway. Still very detailed and fun scenario, thank you and hope to see more!
Note: probably soviets need more reinforcements and aerial strikes to be more realistic.