Little Saturn

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
2xPelin
2x2 Games

Little Saturn

Unread postby 2xPelin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:09 pm

You can check out discussions from beta here.

ropable
Second Lieutenant

Re: Little Saturn

Unread postby ropable » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:21 am

So the best that I've managed for this scenario, after three tries, is capturing all objectives by turn five. I'm struggling to see how you could capture all three objectives by turn four. Problems are supply, and the axis forces turtling around the town to the southeast. Even giving up on flank security and ignoring the axis reserves appearing from the west, I just can't punch through to that last objective.

I can't normally link up my mobiles to the north with the eastern force behind the river until end of turn three. Any tips from anyone who's managed a BV would be welcome.

ropable
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby ropable » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:15 pm

...and on the fifth try, I cracked it. Turns out I was being too timid. Just give up all pretense of guarding your flanks, and you can push a couple of out-of-supply tanks into that last town. My forces are now hopelessly overstretched and dangerously out of supply, but I'm not playing the next turn!

I love this game.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi ropable, welcome to the forums :)

Nice to see you're making progress. Historically, there was little in the way of an "outside" threat to the Soviet western flank in this scenario, so you're using the correct approach there. And the Soviets did in fact end the operation "hopelessly overstretched and dangerously out of supply".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Little_Saturn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatsinskaya_Raid

ropable
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby ropable » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:05 pm

The fact that I can win one of these scenarios and end up in something like an historical order of battle is a testament to the game design. Hats off to you.

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:Hi ropable, welcome to the forums :)
Nice to see you're making progress. Historically, there was little in the way of an "outside" threat to the Soviet western flank in this scenario, so you're using the correct approach there. And the Soviets did in fact end the operation "hopelessly overstretched and dangerously out of supply".

Teigetje
Cadet

Unread postby Teigetje » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Tried and tried and.... you get the picture. I cannot do it. I sometimes get the bridge by turn 3 but cannot even 1 turn then because of the sheer number of counterattacks. So his units stay supplied, i cannot break the defense in the southeast therefor and my amored spearhead is cut off and without supply. The north front stays under pressure and BV is so far out off my reach and even DV is a no-go.

Anyone some pointers as to whats important (besides winning ;) )