Stalingrad

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Watsong
Newcomer

Re: Stalingrad

Unread postby Watsong » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Just scored my first brilliant victory on Stalingrad. So very close, just barely made it!

Replay attached.

Copy to:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity of Command\save\campaign

It will overwrite your existing save or you can rename yours first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GameTime
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby GameTime » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:09 pm

What score do i need to achieve in order to unlock both paths from Stalingrad?

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:36 am

Not entirely sure, possibly a Decisive Victory, but a regular one might be enough.

notsobadnik
Cadet

Unread postby notsobadnik » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 pm

I managed a brilliant victory by pulling in the whole poorly supplied southern flank back across the Don. I moved the motorised division and the panzer division into the center where the two bridges nearest Stalingrad are. My thinking was that if the Russians pursue they'll have less to throw against my main attack and I won't waste airdrops on those two poorly supplied mobile divisions.

Turns out the Russians didn't purse, (at least that I recall) so I pulled my southern flank all the way back to a line extending from the airfield across to the north bank of the Chir. This freed up some German divisions and allowed me to shift units from the southern flank to the northern flank if need be. It took maybe three or four turns until I got those two mobile divisions from the southern flank up into the center, but at that point I had all my strongest concentrated in one attack towards Stalingrad.

Sjarlatan
Colonel

Unread postby Sjarlatan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:59 pm

This scenario is a delicious nut to crack.

I managed to do it in seven turns yesterday, and today I did it in six. Without using prestige! :)

On Soviet troops not trying to recapture the supply points. I find that to be somewhat realistic.

My argument:
We have to keep in mind that the idea itself of the Germans disrupting the soviet logistics in this way is a bit unhistorical. But... If they first managed to do this, captururing supply depots so far from Stalingrad itself. There is no land beyond the Volga! At this point the Russians where pouring everything(More or less) into retaining Stalingrad. Any repositions would probably serve as an unforgivable change of priorities. I would think Stalin waited to after this victory for before finally understanding that he should let the generals who actually knows how to fight the war, be in charge of the war. Where as Stalin grew to trust his generals with decisions, Hitler blamed every failure those generals in charge and resorted to disastrous micromanagement.

On a side note, the hoarder and the completionist in me is tortured by the thought of spending prestige. If it can be done without help, well, then it has to be done without help.

Sjarlatan
Colonel

Unread postby Sjarlatan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:38 pm

5 turns. No prestige.

:D