Baku (BETA 5) (moved from Beta test forum)

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
2xPelin
2x2 Games

Baku (BETA 5) (moved from Beta test forum)

Unread postby 2xPelin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Old topic is locked viewtopic.php?f=19&t=267

Changes in new version:
  • Improved balancing between Tbilisi and Baku axes

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Re: Baku

Unread postby ComradeP » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:50 pm

The new scenario is indeed quite different from the previous one.

If you do it right, you can make the reinforcements that should appear to the west (not sure why the briefing mentions the east, as although they're on the eastern part of the Black Sea region, they're on the western part of the map) appear in the south by capturing their spawning point on turn 2, which makes your situation a lot easier.

I'm not sure if the random weather rolls have also been changed, but I've tried the scenario for half an hour and the weather turned nasty on turn 2 in many cases, with mud in the east, which usually simply completely stops your advance as retreat chances are minimal in the mud, as well as the damage you can inflict being fairly low.

If you do it right in the opening moves (making the reinforcements appear in the south) and the weather is at least somewhat favourable, the forces that start in the west will probably get to Baku before the forces that start in the east, as they seem far more likely to be slowed or halted by the weather.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:28 am

I'm glad you liked it... this sounds like my original idea is finally showing :)

You don't have to capture that supply point on turn 2, but it sure helps. Both forces, east and west, should arrive in Baku at about the same time. Weather is the +/- here, but I think it's actually neat that it affects the strategy so much. On average at least on of your columns should be able to fight its way to Baku in time for the BV.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:21 pm

You're right, this time both columns can get to Baku at roughly the same time, even with some initial mud in the east.

A BV on turn 9 might still be possible if you're lucky with the weather and can block (most of) the reinforcements near Baku from appearing.

Typically, my rolls (which were pretty average) started to fail badly in the last few turns, with 2 90% overrun chance attacks failing and the final attack against the Soviet unit in Baku causing 3 step losses instead of 4, which was the predicted result, which meant a 1 step division stole my BV.

Anyway, the remake's a nice scenario.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kaiserbill
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby kaiserbill » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:00 am

Dunno if I have been unlucky, but the weather in this onehas scuppered me every time. Rain on the eastern track every time!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

2xPelin
2x2 Games

Re: Baku (BETA 5)

Unread postby 2xPelin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Locked - updated in new release.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=423

2xPelin
2x2 Games

Re: Baku (BETA 5) (moved from Beta test forum)

Unread postby 2xPelin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Moved from beta, continue discussion here.