Kuibyshev (moved from Beta test forum)

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Spooner
Brigadier General

Kuibyshev (moved from Beta test forum)

Unread postby Spooner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:17 am

Map really needs a few lines of inaccessible hexes along the right side, since if you have the panel up you can't even see the final city and the supply behind it. I appreciated the fact that the top bar shows the battle odds when I was forced to remove the panel, but I really prefer to keep it up all the time, as I imagine most people do.

Pretty predictable - used recon sweeping up the West side of the map, to cut supply. Slow slog up the middle, then across to take the final city hidden under the unit panel :D Took both locations a turn late, but I had some embarrassing breakthroughs I had to deal with in the first couple of turns :oops: I think if I was doing it again, I might try rushing recon up the Eastern edge too, but I'd worry about losing another critical mobile unit, though.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Kuibyshev

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 am

Let me just explain this right-edge-of-map annoyance, even if I can't fix it atm. The problem is I did the whole "create map from GIS" thing before we decided what the interface will be like, and it didn't occur to me at the time that we might need the extra space there. :roll:

Hopefully the expert players that make their way into Kuibyshev or Baku know how to handle this so it's just that, an annoyance.

As for difficulty of Kuibyshev... the internal test suggested medium/hard and I already wanted to make it harder. If "medium" grades keep coming in, then I will need to seriously complicate things for the player. I think in this case the easiest thing is just to stiffen the turn limit, we'll see.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 am

I'd rather have "blank" grey inaccessible hexes along the right side, than not be able to scroll around comfortably, if you can't add the real terrain. I found another map (did comment, but can't remember which one it was now) that didn't have enough room at the bottom to allow for seeing the reinforcement bar, but that isn't so important to keep up as the unit panel.

Alternative is to allow the maps to scroll a bit further, but not sure how messy that would be and mostly they are fine as they are, just scrolling to the edge of the map.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 am

Brilliant victory on turn 14. It's probably possible on turn 13 or even turn 12, but I ran into some unexpected difficulties.

I had noticed before that the game will sometimes convert two hexes instead of 1 with partisans. In this case, the AI converted a hex west of the rail line, which also changed control of the rail line...

Luckily, I had send my Romanians and infantry on a stroll to the west, so my forces were soon supplies through the western branch of the rail line leaving Stalingrad.

Weather rolls will probably also matter, all in all the main difficulty is the weather and not enemy resistance, just like in Dnepr/Donbas.

It's a nice scenario. I captured Saratov 1 turn early and could probably have done the same with the final objective had my supply network not been disrupted.

You can see where the partisans cut the rail line at the bottom of the screenshot. If that had happened further south, so both branches would be cut off, I would've needed to restart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 am

The saved game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2xPelin
2x2 Games

Re: Kuibyshev (moved from Beta test forum)

Unread postby 2xPelin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Topic moved from beta test forum. Continue discussion here.