Orel/Bryansk (BETA 4) (moved from Beta test forum)

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
ComradeP
Brigadier General

Orel/Bryansk (BETA 4) (moved from Beta test forum)

Unread postby ComradeP » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:39 pm

OK, so it turned out only some luck is needed for Uranus, but I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to capture the southwestern objective by turn 6. I can get there with 2 Tank corps and a cavalry corps, but the defender is a dug in 7 step German division. I'm wondering why it's so good, considering that it's only a security division, but the main problem is that your logistics can't handle getting more units there in time and capable of attacking on turn 5, and you need two turns to reduce the defender's strength. I can get infantry in range, but there's a river, so they're useless.

Capturing Bryansk by turn 6 might, with some luck, be possible, but I'm happy that the turn limit is 7 for Bryansk.

I'd suggest either:

-Reducing the strength and steps of the security division.

or

-Giving the player until turn 7 to capture the southwestern objective.

The AI's not all that good at creating blocking forces, and with any reasonable blocking force and the river in place, you can forget about attacking the objective on turn 6.

The first time I got near the objective, the AI moved two Hungarian divisions north of the objective, so I couldn't attack it.
The second time, the security division destroyed most of the corps I attacked it with.

I'll keep trying, but at the moment I'm puzzled how you guys got there by turn 6 in your own tests, without large amounts of luck on combat results (such as a 10% retreat chance removing the security division from the objective hex) or poor AI unit placement.

There's also another 7 step entrenched security division.

Also: there's a typo for the German combat engineer step as it says Pionere instead of Pioniere

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Orel/Bryansk

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 am

You sure are powering ahead... :-)

Brilliant victory should be difficult but possible in this scenario, we tested. I also think it's ok for this to be difficult: historically, the Soviets got nowhere with this operation. Their only real breakthrough was in fact towards the southwestern objective in this scenario, but that got bogged down in the forests and swamps in between.

The Briansk turn limit was eased intentionally... it's really good that you can tell just by playing. I didn't want to lock the player into one strategy - this way there is more than one way to win and you have some room to change your plans if you're out of luck.

The security divisions were a mixed bag from what I read. In this particular battle they certainly played a role in stopping the Soviets. Glantz gives no detailed OOB though, so I modeled them for effect rather than by judging their strength. 8-) If need be, we could also make them "green" which would encourage proper employment of tanks against them, trying to catch them in the open.

Let's see what the other players are saying. We just started the scoreboard, the ratings there should tell a story.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:14 am

If it was possible when you guys tested it, I should be able to get a brilliant victory, I'll just keep trying.

Regarding the security divisions: it feels weird that they are the strongest infantry formations in the scenario aside from the 112. Infanterie Division.

I already tried Dnepr/Donbas a handful of times, but I'm always 1 turn short for a brilliant victory due to the mud or the SS.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 am

OK, brilliant victory on turn 7, but in a really gamey way.

Only 1 Axis left by the end of the battle and it would probably have been possible to kill that one too.

On turn 1, I started converting hexes south of the Axis supply source with partisans, from west to east. My mobile spearhead linked up with those hexes on turn 3, the Axis supply source was captured on turn 4.

The defenders in the south were cut off for 3 turns by my turn 6, the defenders near Bryansk were cut off for 3 turns by turn 7. The objectives were fairly easily captured.

There were some whole unit losses, but they were acceptable and I don't think they could really be avoided, considering the strength of the Germans. Besides, I very nearly completely wiped out 2nd Panzer Army+supporting forces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ComradeP on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 am

The end game screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:11 am

OK, I've taken a look at how you played it now. Nothing gamey whatsoever.. what are partisans for if not harrasing supply lines??!?

Normally the AI would detect partisans threatening its supply line and dispatch one of the hungarian units to clear it. But since you placed your partisans one hex further away from the rail (I'm not yet sure if this was an error or a stroke of genius), the AI never suspected a thing. :)

willard
Captain

Unread postby willard » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:17 am

I just plaued this one for the first time, and was happy with a 460/700 victory. I actually got Orel one less turn than required. I like the longer time limit as well. I didn't feel as pressured to constantly be advancing 2-3 hexes at least every turn. I don't know if I'll ever get a brilliant victory as ComradeP did, but it was a lot of fun! I'll have to remember that trick with the partisans :roll:

2xPelin
2x2 Games

Re: Orel/Bryansk (BETA 4)

Unread postby 2xPelin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Locked - updated in new release.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=346

2xPelin
2x2 Games

Re: Orel/Bryansk (BETA 4) (moved from Beta test forum)

Unread postby 2xPelin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Topic moved from beta test forum. Continue discussion here.