Terek (moved from Beta test forum)

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
ComradeP
Brigadier General

Re: Terek

Unread postby ComradeP » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Typically, it took me at least 20 tries to win it in the campaign as something always went wrong, mud turned up, some unit put up what I would call a rugged defence, 90% overrun chance attacks failed to get an overrun.

Funny, as a scenario it only took me a couple of tries, but in the campaign I had to restart over and over.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Just played this 2-player (with ante); I was defending. Managed to put up a better fight than the AI, but ante just managed to finish on turn 8 in spite of that, but they pointed out a dumb error I made in turn 6 which would have saved the day (well, at least pushed victory to turn 9 and thus won).

Hentzau
Cadet

Unread postby Hentzau » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Having played through all the German ones this is the only scenario I didn't like. With so few units involved there's actually very little strategy and very little room for trying a different approach - what I had to do was obvious, it was just a matter of replaying the scenario until I got the combat results necessary to carry it out. It was almost entirely dependent on the RNG; I played it the same way twelve times and failed, and then got a Brilliant Victory on the thirteenth try without changing my strategy. The only thing that changed was that I got a string of good combat results.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Let me just say that the strategy presented by ComradeP in this thread is probably not optimal (I can see it from the screenshot already) and that there is at least one strategy that is much less dependent on getting good rolls. Hint: use the historical approach.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 am

Without first moving the armour towards Ordzhonikidze, I doubt you could get to the northern military road objective in time for the BV time limit. Without removing that NKVD-backed Rifle division on turn 1, your infantry is essentially stuck. Using less than 3 Panzer divisions is likely to cause you to get stuck as well.

In terms of rolls, you don't need all that much luck for the strategy I used to work, as long as 80%-90% overrun chances don't fail several times in a row and you don't get mud, a BV is not too difficult to achieve with my strategy. In terms of strategy, what I do works every time, it's the things you can't control like the weather and overrun chances that might cause you to not reach the objectives in time, but the AI is powerless to actually stop you with my approach. In the worst case scenario, victory will just be delayed.

2xPelin
2x2 Games

Re: Terek (moved from Beta test forum)

Unread postby 2xPelin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Topic moved from beta test forum. Continue discussion here.