Black Turn "Prestigeless" BV Campaign

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
ssg_butcher
Captain

Black Turn "Prestigeless" BV Campaign

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Here we go again. After many, MANY tries I have again reached my goal of a perfect score game. Now that I am done I can share what I learned with each scenario and hopefully assist anyone out there still trying for a BV. I would also be happy to receive any feedback from individuals who have different and better methods than my own. I plan on fleshing this thing out over the next few weeks, providing good explanations and corresponding pictures. I would also ask posters to please refrain from commenting on this post until the final scenario is completed.

ssg_butcher
Captain

Re: Black Turn "Prestigeless" BV Campaign

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Army Group North
A nice, fairly easy scenario to get started with. As with most of the game, speed is the key.
-My 1st goal was to utilize my infantry early, allowing my armor and mobile infantry units to get out front
-I also planned to take Riga with very limited support from my mobile units knowing they would be needed for the long drive on Pskov

End of 1st turn:

-Over the next three turns I took Daugavpils utilizing my mobile force and was in prime position to take Riga with my infantry with one mobile unit for support which I actually didn't even need in the end

End of 4th turn:

-The final two turns were the make or break for this scenario
-On turn 5 the enemy threw its only tank division out in front of my advancing armor and utilizing my air support combined with an overrun I was able to weaken it sufficiently, with no more zones of control in the open I advanced to the objective
-turn 6 I attacked Pskov from the south with my elite 1st panzer and was able to breach their dug in status
-following an attack from across the river the occupying force was destroyed and I was able to move in

Beginning of 6th turn:

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 am

Pretty much the same approach I have come to see as the most effective. Only thing I do differently is that I always send one of the pz.divs. with recon via "the Riga" route. The recon attachment is nice to have for a unit moving alone. The huge ammount of territory it captures makes for an easy "supply-linkup" with the other forces going the shorter route via Daugavpils. Plus Armoured units have more movement points than the motorized/SS. Finally with the recon attachment the unit will almost never become "ZoC-stuck" to those weak infantry divisions guarding the northern route to Pskov.

ssg_butcher
Captain

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:33 am

Army Group Center
Now things get interesting. I may use the term "Perfect 1st turn" quite few times throughout this AAR. This is one of those scenarios where everything needs to go right on the 1st turn. The weather needs to be clear, certain enemy units need to retreat or be destroyed, and your own units must advance certain distances or hold certain ground if you have any hopes of capturing objectives on time.

-Starting in the south I crossed the river with the 31 ID attacking the Soviet Infantry causing it to be "breached" following an attack by another infantry unit and my elite 29 MD I destroyed the enemy division and assumed its zone of control across the river
-Next I broke through with my panzers and the single calvary division all the way up to the river northwest of Pinsk, I did keep a Panzer division behind to assist in the attack on Bialystok
-I landed a few blows on Brest-Litovsk with the armor along the way but was unable to remove the enemy this turn
-My infantry was able to assume positions on the river across from Bialystok and I constructed a bridge to assist in other units crossing the river from the south
End of 1st turn South:

-In the north I secured ground across the Neimen River to facilitate a quick drive to Minsk
-I began attacking south towards Bialystok with my infantry and sent some mobile infantry unit south in case things got hairy
End of 1st turn North:

-On turn two I raced my panzer divisions to the south and west of Baranovichi cutting one supply rout to Bialystok
-I was easily able to capture Brest-Litovsk with my infantry
-Destroying units around Bialystok I moved an infantry unit adjacent to the objective
-In the north I moved my armor further east cutting off the other supply rout to Bialystok

End of 2nd turn:

-At the beginning of turn 3 I captured Baranovichi using my units in the west, once the zone of control was neutralized I moved my two armor units towards the southeastern objective
-In the north I neutralized the enemies line and moved two more armor units within range of Minsk, I made sure the armor I sent was in supply the previous turn because they were likely to be flanked the following turn
-In the center and west I took Bialystok and cleared the supply line all the way to my forward units
-I moved Infantry units near Pinsk and easily took it the next turn

End of 3rd turn:

-For the final turn of this scenario I utilized my mobile units in a leapfrog strategy using the units that were back behind the frontlines to rush forward assuming zones of control and smashing the enemies frontline units
-After a some pretty fortunate overruns and other strong attacks I was able to completely annihilate the enemy occupying both objectives

End of 4th turn:

ssg_butcher
Captain

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:50 am

Army Group South
Another "perfect 1st turn" scenario where everything must go right. Of course there can be some changes in the distribution of armor in this scenario, however the player has to be very lucky in capturing Lvov in time without the extra help. Two things absolutely must happen in order to win this one on time. You must have a zone of control captured adjacent to Lvov, and you must have your armor advance to Lutsk just west of Rovno by the end of turn 1.

-I began by attacking towards Lvov using my infantry and 13th panzer division, I have been successful without the armor in this scenario before but it makes things extremely difficult without it, I prefer to use my 1st Gebirg unit to attack the city as it can usually place a good attack without taking any casualities
-For the advance east I crossed the bridge adjacent to my 299th infantry division, using infantry to destroy the enemy I crossed the river assuming zones of control and then advanced the 299th as far as they could go enabling them to assist in the attack on turn 2
-Next I sent the 14th and 11th panzer divisions as far as I could east while keeping them in supply
-I attacked across the bridge in the very northwest and then advanced the 16th panzer

End of 1st turn in the northwest:

-In the south I attacked across the river with my Pionere supported infantry promptly crossing the river and building a bridge
-I then began moving my German infantry towards the bridge to cross on the following turns, I also attacked using a few of my stronger units to weaken enemy units in the area

End of 1st turn in the southeast:

Another make or break moment in this scenario is the successful capture of Rovno.
-1st I bombed the 131 MRD with an air attack causing two steps worth of casualties, I then attacked with the 299th ID causing the 131 MRD to retreat thus clearing the route to Rovno
-Attacking Rovno with the 14th panzer I was able to make the enemy unit retreat, after that the 11th panzer moved in and took the objective, IMO the hardest parts of this scenario were now over
-Finishing up in the northwest I cleared my supply line leading to Rovno, moved the 16th panzer up to the front with my other armor, and took Lvov clearing and destroying units in the area

End of 2nd turn in northwest:

-In the southeast I moved my Pionere Infantry unit to the river across from Mogilev, In the following turns my plan was to weaken the enemy units around Mogilev while keeping my units in supply

End of 2nd turn in the southeast:

-Over the next two turns I cleaned up and was able to overrun many units on my way to the objectives, I did have to redirect units to Tarnopol in order to capture the objective on time, Zhitomir would easily be taken on turn 5 and in the southeast my pioneer unit crossed the river ready to take Mogilev

End of 4th turn:

ssg_butcher
Captain

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Estonia
An easy scenario that just requires some planning and unit management. Your goal should be to have a Pioneer supported infantry unit headed to each objective in order to breach their dug in status. Always attack first with the Pioneer units and then clean up using your weaker infantry units.

-I opened up each turn attacking with my Pioneer units making my way slowly north.
-By turn 5 I split up my army three headed to the northwest and three to the northeast each one supported by a Pioneer supported unit
-At the end of turn 7 I had breached both objectives and took them both on the next turn

End of 7th turn:

ssg_butcher
Captain

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Luga to Leningrad
This scenario requires more power than speed. As you do not have too much distance between your starting points and your objectives you have time to sufficiently weaken the enemy and wait until the precise time to strike.

-In the north I struck across the river and moved my armor and mobile infantry units across, continuously attacking and destroying the enemy units south of Krasno I kept my units close together to protect my supply lines
-I used the Totenkopf mobile infantry unit to capture Chudovo and moved my infantry in and out of supply to keep a strong presence to around the objective
-In the south the strategy is almost the same as Estonia, attack first with your Pioneer units and then with your weaker infantry units

End of 3rd turn:

-By turn 5 I had advanced and taken Krasno and placed my units in position to take Shlisselburg on the next turn
-In the south my Pioneer units took Demyansk without much difficulty
-On turn 6 my units crossed the river taking Shlisselburg

End of 5th turn:

ssg_butcher
Captain

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Smolensk
The opening scenario usually goes pretty well and your mobile units will make good progress. It's near the end where you have to make difficult decisions about where to properly disperse your forces and you may run into a bit of crowding problems as I did.

-In my initial turns in the north I cross the Dvina River, repair the bridge and secure the supply line, I also send a mobile infantry unit north to Velikiye with some regular infantry on the way
-Center and South my units destroyed the units in and around Orsha and crossed the Dnieper, the forest east of Orsha slowed things down a bit so I redirected some of my armor to support the attack on Smolensk from the south

End of 3rd turn:

-Smolensk was taken at the beginning of turn 4 however securing the supply line would require most of my stronger units that were needed elsewhere
-I was able to move a unit adjacent to Yelnya securing the zone of control prior to the final turn
-During the enemies 4th turn he moved most of his units away from Roslavl in order to form a defensive line
-Turn 5 was pretty hairy but I was able to leap frog my units forward in order to place a good attack on Roslavl by my Pioneer supported panzer unit

Beginning of 5th turn:

ssg_butcher
Captain

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Kiev Encirclement
Sort of a fun, feel good about yourself scenario in which you have to be rather unlucky not to get a brilliant victory here. Your goal should be to cut off the supply to Kiev and attack towards the Link-up objective from the north and south.

-My initial moves in the north cut off the enemy units north of the Desna River and give my units an opportunity to cross on my 2nd turn
-In the south my Pioneer units successfully push back the enemy across the Dnieper and cross the river

End of 1st turn North:

-Turn 2 in the north turned out to be an utter failure as the enemy units across the river provided stubborn resistance therefore allowing little headway to be made
-In the south the outcome proved to be much better making good progress and successfully capturing the Link-up on turn 3

End of 3rd turn:

There really isn't much need to go more in depth on this scenario. Once Kiev has lost supply it should fall easily on turn 6 or 7.

ssg_butcher
Captain

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Tartar Ditch
A short intriguing scenario to cut off the Crimean. My plan was to use my slower infantry units to capture the southern objective and my faster mobile units in the north

-My Pioneer units in the south make forward progress across the river
-In the north I moved the Romanian Calvary across the river and destroyed the enemy infantry allowing me to rebuild the bridge

End of 1st turn:

-During turn 2 I simply used my units to sufficiently weaken the enemy forces within the area, I pushed forward slightly but ensured to keep my units in supply for turn 3
-On turn 3 I broke out and struck forward from my position gaining zones of control next to both objectives, at this point I no longer cared about keeping my units in supply
-During the enemy's turn he found it necessary to use units to cut me off from my supply lines effectively handing me my objectives

End of enemy's 3rd turn: