Black Turn: Army Group North

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
scragham
Second Lieutenant

Black Turn: Army Group North

Unread postby scragham » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:28 am

hey all -

anyone manage to get a BV yet? I can pretty reliably get the last objective on T7 now, but squeezing it into T6 seems pretty rough. I need my mobile units to take the early objectives because infantry doesn't move fast enough, and if i do that, they don't get to the last objective in time for T6.

anyone else?

scragham
Second Lieutenant

Re: Black Turn: Army Group North

Unread postby scragham » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:20 pm

squeezed it out last night. finally figured out i was being too conservative with my armor/motorized inf; i kept operating on the idea that i needed to not use them to attack, just move forward.

once i used them to shatter the initial soviet resistance and then subsequent turns to push forward, it fell together better.

aulty
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby aulty » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Can you post your save file for the replay?
I have been coming so close with my panzers out of moves for taking the final objective on turn 6 after the garrison has been displaced. I use my infantry to take the left hand objective by the rail line and have one or two panzers race ahead up the rail line. Meanwhile all the rest of my panzers assault the eastern turn 4 objective and race north but seem to be a few hexes short of crossing the bridge behind the turn 6 objective to take the objective. Any bad weather at all really screws you on a BV.

scragham
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby scragham » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:39 pm

as you can see, 1) i bought engineers. they're key for making it so that you only need two units to take the southeastern T4; everyone else went north, just bypassing/cutting off the rail line T5 while infantry closed in to take the objective itself.

good luck - anytime i got bad weather, it was an automatic reload because i knew a BV attempt was borked. luckily the weather is usually pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:37 am

I'll give a little hint here: The shortest route to Pskov does not go via Riga...

aulty
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby aulty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 am

Yea, I figured that out, finally did it with a couple more lucky roles, you still need at least one or two mobile units going via riga to link up the rail supply to your eastern Panzers and cutting off the Riga (?) objective makes it go down much easier OOS.
Disbanding a unit which has dismantled a a key ZoC on the last turn sure helps your forces stretch to the objective hex in the last turn.

Will post the replay when I can, thanks for the replay upload above! Onto trying for a BV on Heersgruppe Mitte now.

pb83
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby pb83 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Yeah I just came short of 1 hex as Pskov was empty. I have to look into that engineers thing.

pb83
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby pb83 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:40 am

Done! Now on to the next one.

scragham
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby scragham » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:56 pm

finally got BV without using any prestige!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LaLose
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby LaLose » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:39 am

Me too, BV... after 4 days of unsuccessfully attemps :mrgreen:
(Also without spending any prestige)