PvP: Lower Dniepr (RT)

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Arctic-Nation
Major

PvP: Lower Dniepr (RT)

Unread postby Arctic-Nation » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:06 pm

The last of the official Red Turn PvP scenarios, and in my opinion, the most fun, at least when playing as the unstoppable Soviet hordes.

Starting a 2-pronged attack, one southwards in the vicinity of Kharkov, the other westwards from the Mius, I quickly made headway against spillblood 's (the guy deserves a medal for his willingness to martyr himself like that) meagre defenses, forcing the once-proud SS Panzer Corps to retreat in shambles, and threatening Stalino. Spillblood then desperately tries to put up a defense, but his lack of manpower forces him to leave gaps all over his line.
Muscling my way through his scattered units, I manage to park some forces next to Poltava, and completely bypass Stalino to block the river crossing to the east of Dnepropetrovsk, putting all enemy forces west of that point out of supply. This throws the entire Axis defense into disarray, and spillblood is compelled to retreat his panzer divisions westwards, abandoning his infantry on the Mius-Donets line to their fate. He has, however, neglected to defend Kremenchug and Dnepropetrovsk, and I seize the opportunity. Taking out the final units in my path, I reach for both objectives.
Only on turn 4, I already have captured all my goals. With rain suddenly slowing down my offensive operations, spillblood keeps moving his remaining armour westwards along his only supply line. Around Dnepropetrovsk I manage to catch up, destroying most of his remaining troops. Still, he keeps taking potshots at my forces, gradually falling back, and it isn't until turn 7 that he finally runs out of room to maneuver, and I obliterate the last Axis units outside Cherkasy.

Conclusion: it's rather telling that I almost succeeded in winning a BV against a competent human opponent.

spillblood
Major General

Re: PvP: Lower Dniepr (RT)

Unread postby spillblood » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:41 am

This is a pretty hard scenario for the defenders, but I guess I could have played better by pulling back earlier. Arctic-Nation encircled about 4 of my infantry divisions at the Donets, which were missing in the later turns.I tried to fight my way out of some other encirclements. I guess when the defender pulls back earlier and uses riverlines and bridges to slow down the attackers, it could work a bit better, but it's always possible for the attackers to destroy some of the best units (in this case some SS Mototirzed that were weakened/wiped out in the opening turns) in the first turn. Game number was: CkMFfo.
BTW, if someone else reads this post, please report if it's possible for other players to connect to the finished game and view it in history mode (just want to know if posting the game code makes sense).
2013-10-12 06-33-03_Greenshot.jpg

2013-10-12 06-35-22_Greenshot.jpg

2013-10-12 06-36-26_Greenshot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by spillblood on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:44 am

2013-10-12 06-36-56_Greenshot.jpg

2013-10-12 06-37-24_Greenshot.jpg

2013-10-12 06-38-14_Greenshot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by spillblood on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:45 am

2013-10-12 06-38-41_Greenshot.jpg

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:55 am

spillblood wrote:please report if it's possible for other players to connect to the finished game and view it in history mode

I just checked and apparently no, you cannot.

That said, ante thinks it's just a few lines of code to change this on the server (no game update required). There is really no reason not to allow it so yeah, we'll look into it and then I'll report back on this topic.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Would be a cool feature. Other players could watch PvP battles fought by other players when they are finished and post the code in the forums.