Red Turn all BVs

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
sourdust
Brigadier General

Red Turn all BVs

Unread postby sourdust » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:13 am

Finally managed to do the full campaign with all BVs. I won't post the replays unless requested, as I suspect nobody will really look at them!

This is my second time playing through the campaign, so BVs were straighforward for most scenarios. The following three gave me some particular trouble, however:

1) Lower Dnieper - this one was really tough, the German armor dug in at Poltava is hard to evict on time, and my forces kept being too delayed and attrited by the Poltava battles to take the remaining objectives on time. Then finally, after about six or seven failures, I managed to complete the BV a turn ahead of time! All objectives captured on turn four. Basically, my northern forces fought a battle of annihilation with the German panzers around Poltava, leaving my infantry to assault the city itself successfully (though with horrendous losses) on turn 4. Meanwhile, I had stunning success with the breakthrough at Stalino, which swept northward, rolling up the German line and taking the middle objective on turn 4. The Stalino forces attracted the German panzer reserves, while allowed by northern force just enough steam to take the final objective, also on turn 4. I had some luck on this victory, but also my share of bad die rolls.

2) Rovno-Korsun - looks like I'm not the only one who has been stymied by the LSSAH panzer unit, which sits in Zhitomir and obliterates anything that tries to evict it. I think I tried a dozen times, each time to send waves of my guys to their doom, and never getting more than one or two suppression hits against the SS unit. Finally, a stroke of luck: I moved one of my own tanks (a plain vanilla tank unit, with no supporting attachment) next to Zhitomir, and the LSSAH attacked out of the city. My tanks was destroyed, but managed two suppression hits on LSSAH, which was enough for me to kill it off on turn three. Don't ask me to repeat the feat! The rest of the scenario was completely hair-raising, I was on the edge of my seat, afraid I would screw something else up after managing to take Zhitomir on time after so many tries. But it all went well.

3) Leningrad - Oh, just give me a single cavalry unit already, to barrel down the rail line to Pskov! I don't know why I found this so hard, I understood what I had to do, but somehow each time some small thing went wrong, either in the siege of Narva, or the final race to Pskov. I got all the stars aligned about my sixth or seventh restart, but even then it was touch and go right up to the end.

A few of the scenarios were too easy, like the two Kiev scenarios. But on the whole I loved playing through them all a few times. I haven't had so much pure fun with a wargame in ages. It's just immensely fun to march a guards mechanised corps reinforced by Katyushas into a mess of German infantry and watch as it overruns three divisions in one go! The AI is great and keeps you on your toes, and the scenario design is outstanding.

Let me know if anybody wants any of the Red Turn replay files.

luczed
First Lieutenant

Re: Red Turn all BVs

Unread postby luczed » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 pm

I remember leningrad was so hard to get a BV because you're infantry is so slow! Congrats on the campaign.

michalek
First Lieutenant

Unread postby michalek » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Rovno-Korsun: I think the secret is to move all T-34 and some armor steps to the forces that are in the center and right flank on turn 2, and _not_ to expose mechanized divisions on turn 1 and 2. I also move infantry with artillery next to Rovno on turn 2, so the scheme of offensive on turn 3 is first to remove entrenchment with infantry (if it happens), and then storm it with best armor divisions first. This way one should get 1 suppression step for each armored attach, which unfortunately requires 4 fresh divisions, at least 2 of them with a star!

michalek
First Lieutenant

Unread postby michalek » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 pm

I also got all BV and no prestige expense as of late. Anybody knows if another campaign is coming?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kamerad
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby kamerad » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:15 pm

sourdust wrote:Let me know if anybody wants any of the Red Turn replay files.

I'll ask for a replay files :)

sourdust
Brigadier General

Unread postby sourdust » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:14 pm

I just replayed all of the Unity of Command campaigns, after about a year away from the game.

This time around, I managed to get all BVs on Red Turn, with no use of Stavka reserves ... and no reloading of scenarios! Yep, all 17 scenarios with BV consecutively.

Needless to say, I was quite nervous on the final Berlin scenario, but things went just fine and I had more than my share of good luck, even taking Berlin ahead of schedule on turn 3. A couple of other scenarios are helped by favourable die rolls, especially Rovno/Korsun and Lower Dnieper.

What a great game, that it still has me on the edge of my seat even after running through each of the campaigns a few times already.

sourdust