Red Turn: Berlin

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
runequester
Cadet

Red Turn: Berlin

Unread postby runequester » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm

So I am almost at the end of Red Turn, and it's been very epic.Well designed scenarios, and some stiff fights. But Berlin is eluding me. Showing aside the German units isn't a problem, but taking Berlin itself is virtually impossible. Even if an artillery unit can manage to breach the entrenchments, unit after unit simply is repulsed, resulting in every intact division being blown to pieces.

Either I am missing a trick, or you need a lot more luck than I have :)

Anyone who have beaten this, and care to elaborate on how they did it?

runequester
Cadet

Re: Berlin. Argh

Unread postby runequester » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Oh for crying out loud, I figured it out.

I had misread the map, and thought the supply source for the Germans was in the left Berlin hex, but it's not. Reduce and capture the garrison there, and you can wear down the Berlin defenders with artillery and tanks.

kashkin
First Lieutenant

Re: Berlin. Argh

Unread postby kashkin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Even then you have to move quite quickly so the Berlin garrison is even one turn out of supply by turn 4.

Arctic-Nation
Major

Re: Red Turn: Berlin

Unread postby Arctic-Nation » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:16 pm

In the end, I found taking Cottbus on turn one more difficult than taking Berlin. Unlike the turn 1 objectives in other missions, Cottbus entirely depends on the RNG smiling down upon you, which I find really annoying. In 8 starts, I've only been able to take the city twice before running out of active units (and once were the garrison was destroyed, but I had nothing left to move in).

As for Berlin, heaping artillery on your armour really does the trick, though I was helped by the garrison unit attacking the troop I'd put on the supply depot in turn 3. Took care of that nasty dislodging problem with only minimal losses on my side.