Red Turn: Rovno - Korsun

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
irishblue
Newcomer

Re: Red Turn: Rovno - Korsun

Unread postby irishblue » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:31 am

I found this scenario pretty difficult so far as well. I will have to try the "going straight for their supply" technique, but sometimes I hate to do this because it it so unrealistic (by that, I mean sending off a lone unit to hold the supply hex).

Spillblood, not to nitpick the history, but I think your analysis was a little off. The Soviets were only inferior in equipment and tactics in about 1941 and early 1942, but learned from their mistakes. The T-34 and KV-1 tanks were as good or better than anything the Germans had until maybe the Panther, and the Soviets developed some very good aircraft as well. Plus, the Germans had a war economy way prior to 1943, really starting since Hitler came to power. It was the Soviets who started late, but they did have tremendous resources (although much of these areas were captured by the Germans). I would agree with a lot of your points about Hitler and that the German units in the game are way too strong late in the war.

Although this game may not be historically totally accurate, it is incredibly addicting! Good luck to all.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:19 pm

irishblue wrote:The Soviets were only inferior in equipment and tactics in about 1941 and early 1942, but learned from their mistakes. The T-34 and KV-1 tanks were as good or better than anything the Germans had until maybe the Panther, and the Soviets developed some very good aircraft as well.

Yeah, you're right, the Russian T-34 and KV-1 tanks were superior to the German Panzer I-IV tanks they had available in Operation Barbarossa, and the Germans never had large numbers of the technically more advanced tanks like Panther and Tiger in the later stages of the war. In aircraft the Russians also gained an advantage because there was a stop on aircraft development on the German side until 1944. And in both areas the Soviets had far more production capacity, ressources etc.
irishblue wrote:Although this game may not be historically totally accurate, it is incredibly addicting! Good luck to all.

Yeah! I'm absolutely looking forward to the next addon and the sequel the developers are planning. The game may take influences from other entry and immediate level games like Panzer General and Korsun Pocket, but they've really managed to reduce the gameplay of those games to the essential points without losing too much underlying complexity.

newshutz
Newcomer

Unread postby newshutz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:47 am

I finally got a Brilliant on this, after many many tries. There is a great deal of luck needed. There is no way to keep LSSAH out of Zhitomir, the Nazi bastards, and Wiking just sits on the Korsun airfield dug in.

The first turn breakthroughs:
North: just pushing to edge of Forest. Center large bulge between Zitomir and Korsun. South, break through the 376ID, and use the mech corps to kill the 14Pz. 1MC goes through gap first and then 5GMC which attacks 14Pz first, then the 1MC attacks 14Pz. You might have to finish the 14Pz with the 32GRC, then the tank corps can make a line to the edge of the map to put the three German mobile units out of supply. It is good to put a RC in the rear to stop with zoc any German breakthrough

German 1st and USSR 2nd:
North: If the AI keeps a Pz Div in the north it is very difficult to break out, and you may have to wait till after Zitomir. I was lucky and 1Pz attacked and damaged itself. Center: The German mobile units scattered, and I was able to cut off supply, kill some steps, and isolate Zhitomir. South: take German supply source and cut as many Germans off from supply as possible.

USSR 3rd: Center: got some suppressed steps on first strike at LSSAH in Zhitomir. Lost a lot of soldiers digging it out. Wore it down and eliminated it. cleared the squares around Vinnitsa, so no German reinforcements there. North: Cut off Das Reich so it would be its second turn out of supply, cleaned up a few German units. South: got lucky in how the AI moved on turn 2 and was able to cut off all of the Mobile units that came south. Now only Wiking and infantry around Korsun.

USSR 4th: North: Pushed enough force toward Rovno to take it, and keep Das Reich out of supply. South: Killed all the German mobile units left and set up to hit Wiking on turn 5.

USSR 5th: Got steps on each strike on Wiking, though it never lost its entrenchments. Used lots of soldiers digging it out of Korsun Airfield. Winnitsa was out of supply after turn two, so fell to two RC and a depleted TC.

Rovno got overwhelmed on turn 7. I probably could have done it on turn 6. Really, if you get the other targets on time, there will not be any Germans left but the ID in Rovno.

juoc
Major

Unread postby juoc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:30 am

After a few failed attempts at Zhitomir, I just assumed LSSAH must be kept out and after far too many tries I found a way. If you get a unit to the hex just SW of Zhitomir on turn 1, 7 PzD will take up position in Zhitomir instead of LSSAH. To do this you first attack 19 PzD with an infantry unit and hope for it to at least reach weak status so you can disband it without losing prestige. You now have a hex next to 19 PzD and can take it out. It is then possible to reach the hex mentioned by moving your tanks through the gap created.