Uranus

Let's keep only one thread active per scenario. What do you think about a particular scenario. Was it too easy, too hard? Did you win or lose at first? Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Grenator
Second Lieutenant

Uranus

Unread postby Grenator » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:23 am

I wonder why this scenario isn't in this section. Definitely not because it's easy, since when I first started the Soviet campaign, I would spend hours trying to complete it and still squeeze out a measly 210 points in the end (not even a DV!), taking all objectives on turn 2 seemed insane and a bad joke from the devs. This feeling was reinforced by the two following scenarios which are comparatively easy.

Anyhow, I can now proudly say that I've got the BV on Uranus. So let me issue a few tips for those who are as desperate as I was:

- Take the bridge next to Kalach. This one is a deal-breaker, and needs a bit of luck, but if you block the bridge with a 7-step+arty infantry, half the job is done.
- Make sure that after breaking the Romanian line in the south you occupy a hex above Abganerovo (preferably with one of your Mechs): this will prevent the AI from blocking your approach to this objective on turn 2.
- On the north-west, don't bother trying to cut off the enemy supply line. Push against the enemies that prevent you from entering Surovikino. Don't be afraid of their cutting you off: the scenario should be 2 turns long.

- As an additional note, use the infantry near Stalingrad. You can destroy two enemy divisions there on turn 1.

lgreen666
Second Lieutenant

Re: Uranus

Unread postby lgreen666 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:25 pm

I really love this scenario for its speed and real sense of history (well if you are that way inclined) but try as I might I can't get a BV - I am sure that Grenator is correct when he says you need to take or block the bridge at Kalach in the first turn but I just can't see how I can get my forces physically there on the first turn... suggestions gratefully accepted?

Arctic-Nation
Major

Unread postby Arctic-Nation » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Blocking the bridge at Kalach is quite easy. Destroy the German 44 ID with your three infantry corps located next to it (thus including the one across the river), move them through the enemy zone of control, then park your 4 TC next to the bridge. The outcome will depend a bit on when the 44 ID decides to retreat and where to, but it should be adequate every time. That way you have at least three units (four, if you can get a cavalry corps close enough) with which to attack the MD (it's always an MD in my games) occupying Kalach the next turn. It'll work better if one of your Mech Corps from the southeast can assist from across the river (which means it'll have to be in position at the end of turn 1, as Gerry will block you off otherwise), or, if you manage to force a path over the north bank of the river, directly from the east.

Teigetje
Cadet

Unread postby Teigetje » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:54 pm

tenx, it still took me about 10 tries with your method (on top of my own 20+) and i even had to disband a unit to make room for assaulting forces. BUT i finally did it. phew...... This game can be so frustrating