Map editor

Post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding.
sourdust
Brigadier General

Map editor

Unread postby sourdust » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:39 am

Hey Tomislav,

Any chance you might release the map editor for UoC, as is? I think we all realise it won't be "user-friendly", but I'd love to play around with it a bit while waiting for UoC2. You see, there's this "Fall Grun" scenario that needs the Sudety Hills painted in...

Cheers!
sourdust

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Map editor

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 pm

It's not only that the editor isn't user friendly, it also only works on Linux. Installation is a nightmare, for example it requires re-compiling GIMP with some special patches (among other things, there's much more).

So, I don't think UoC1 map editor will happen. UoC2 will come with a fully featured map editor though.

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:27 am

What impressed me the most with the map editor was seeing river path tool on this blog post: https://unityofcommand.net/blog/2012/07/12/map-making-for-fun-and-profit/.

The only thing better than that is how the coastal area looks like in terms of variety. I would love to learn more about how those tools work and hope we will see something like that in the new game editor.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:19 am

Full set of map tools will be available with the new game. We ditched the Bezier curves though, because simple polylines turned out to work just as well. Here's a map editor screenshot.

Cheers! ;)

editor.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Charleshealk
Cadet

Map editor

Unread postby Charleshealk » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:19 pm

The map editor is too confounded. I cant make a map with it without ruining the entire page.

It should come with a blank map, and also it should have a simcity building style.

Would that be possible?