New scenario

Post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding.
sharky0922
Cadet

New scenario

Unread postby sharky0922 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:59 pm

so i thinking to make some mods,
i was playing with some basic thing like adding in power ups, etc..just see what is where.
so i have couple of questions
1. i was trying to change playable map size in scenario, but when i changed 0 to 1 in csv file , game wont see it, what need to be changed too?

SOLVED look below

2. im thinking about doing some extra units, but i don't have clue about 3d modeling, i read that youre using maya, so i downloaded it(30 days free ), and im learning .. :shock:
anyways, would be possible to make 3d models available for us, or at least some tutorial how to make similar one?
3. is there any way to add fog of war? or at least to hide opponent units strength ? kind makes it all to easy..heh

i like the game it very nice graphic, and so simple. is there any chance for another campaign?
or maybe you're making another game? hope so..!

sharky0922
Cadet

Re: New scenario

Unread postby sharky0922 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:04 pm

AD 1.
first i wanted to make bigger playable maps, bigger = better :roll:
after basic trouble i did it ..! just couple hexes but it proves my point..

but the map you could look at was very limited, so i had make field of view bigger,
how far you could scroll down your monitor heh hope you understand me

thing that would be great to do too :
4. change or add some powerups, and icons to them , would be cool if somebody could do 3d graphic icons for that(or show me how :P)
i alredy added powerup ,just to see how was it, but change only basic image and stats

5.change campaign map to more "realistic" and with some other options (part of making new campaign)

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:22 pm

sharky0922 wrote:3. is there any way to add fog of war?

Given that units are the same every time you play the scenario, it would just add a "memory game" mini-game where you need to remember where what unit is from a previous playthrough, or simply draw the map on a piece of paper marking where each unit is and their strength. I fail to see how it would add to the game in any positive way.

sharky0922 wrote:or at least to hide opponent units strength ?

If you mean hide the strength of an enemy unit you click on, that would break the very basics of the game.

sharky0922
Cadet

Unread postby sharky0922 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:21 pm

RambOrc wrote:
sharky0922 wrote:3. is there any way to add fog of war?

Given that units are the same every time you play the scenario, it would just add a "memory game" mini-game where you need to remember where what unit is from a previous playthrough, or simply draw the map on a piece of paper marking where each unit is and their strength. I fail to see how it would add to the game in any positive way.

i dont think you understand me, or you dont know what fog of war is..

1 or 2 hexes beside own unit visible , of course that would depend on terrain..
i think would add more level of fun and a bit of realism,
imagine when your Panzer Division attacking on objective..
recon units send forward didn't seen anything dangerous..and suddenly from side there is huge counter attack ..
fog of war is basic in strategy games,but it should be option so if you would like to go easy way..you could switch it off..
units under black shouldn't be visible. 1-2 hexes from frontline..

RambOrc wrote:If you mean hide the strength of an enemy unit you click on, that would break the very basics of the game.

break basics of the game? and..? whats wrong with that if i wanna improve some things, im just asking if its possible,
in real life would you know straight away which unit is "weak" or strong? , no.
it makes game too easy this way, unit strength should be visible after first "fight" , its kinda obvious, and its in many games..like fog of war..

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:48 pm

1) Different game systems are different for a reason, UoC is not an RTS nor does it randomly generate a scenario every time. After the first few playthroughs, you would know where the units hiding in the fog are anyway, at which point the whole difference would be whether you keep all this information in your head, or waste an hour or two scribbling it down on paper.

2) Again, since each unit is fixed at scenario start, all this would achieve is forcing players to make notes about each unit's strength in boring "exploratory" matches, or just use undo every time they attacked the wrong unit (I haven't installed any patches yet, because I don't want to be tempted by the undo feature to cheat).

I am curious, why do you think the game is easy? Do you get a BV on every scenario without using prestige? I have been working on a full BV Axis campaign for quite some time now, and I am still at only 7/9 (then again, I am still using 1.00, so no cheating with undo).

p.s.
i dont think you understand me, or you dont know what fog of war is..

Back in 1995, I actually preordered (and played within days of release) the first RTS game that implemented fog of war. :P

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:18 pm

RambOrc wrote:I am still using 1.00, so no cheating with undo

Just a note about the undo: you can only undo movement and add/reorg/disband stuff, not combat. While you can argue that doing a move, looking at combat odds and then hitting undo perhaps gives you an edge - I wouldn't go as far as to call it cheating.

Like everything else, it's a compromise. We wanted to give the option to undo accidental moves and disbands, as players get really frustrated when that happens.

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Ah that sounds better. Adding an undo to disband specifically is probably a good thing, sometimes a unit looks ready for a reorganize (it is supplied and hasn't moved in that turn) but still would be disbanded on click, if you don't pay attention to the icon you might throw away the steps.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:28 pm

sharky0922 wrote:i wanted to make bigger playable maps

It looks OK from the screenshots, but just in case:

1. you need to enlarge the scenario "area" in game.json (format is u,v,w,h)
2. you need to make the hexes in enlarged area playable in playable.csv
3. you need to make them belong to a faction, either in owner-axis.csv or owner-soviet.csv

sharky0922 wrote:i dont think you understand me, or you dont know what fog of war is..

If you want to discuss the game system, including FoW please do but let's do it in the main forum "Unity of Command" rather than modding.

The kind of FoW you describe is very similar to for example "Korsun Pocket" but I didn't want it in UoC because I'm not completely happy with how it works there. Also, I'm not missing it terribly on this scale - if we had longer scenarios (20-30 turns or more) and bigger maps then it would make much more of a difference.

sharky0922
Cadet

Unread postby sharky0922 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:48 pm

It looks OK from the screenshots, but just in case:

1. you need to enlarge the scenario "area" in game.json (format is u,v,w,h)
2. you need to make the hexes in enlarged area playable in playable.csv
3. you need to make them belong to a faction, either in owner-axis.csv or owner-soviet.csv

thanks i already got that haha
but thanks again
If you want to discuss the game system, including FoW please do but let's do it in the main forum "Unity of Command" rather than modding.

thanks for joing in about it, i was just writing back to him. to go somewhere else cry about it if he don't agrees with me

The kind of FoW you describe is very similar to for example "Korsun Pocket" but I didn't want it in UoC because I'm not completely happy with how it works there. Also, I'm not missing it terribly on this scale - if we had longer scenarios (20-30 turns or more) and bigger maps then it would make much more of a difference.

and almost all strategy games...well shame..maybe with next project?
im planning to use whole map for one scenario..that will take this many turns :p
well ..i will just cover half of the screen with piece of paper