mods

Post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding.
gunhojr
First Lieutenant

mods

Unread postby gunhojr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:09 am

hello i know this game just came out and hope there will be mods soon i know of one and its on matrixgames just if anyone wants to look at it myself i dont like it i like to have unit icons this changes to square pieces.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Re: mods

Unread postby Spooner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:27 pm

I think the thread you are referencing is: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2952767

It is pretty trivial to mod most, if not all, of the graphics in the game, since they are just a collection of plain old PNG files in a folder (Although I think they are 3D models originally, they are pre-rendered as 2D images). The only difficulty is that it isn't possible to switch between icon-styles in-game without restarting and replacing the image files (but for the grognards, who just want NATO or death, that is fine!).

Don't worry, Nenad, I will always use your pretty, pretty 3D counters!

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Same here :) They're part of the game as far as i am concerned.

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:02 pm

To be honest, I favor nato symbols for both; their graphical simplicity and their functionality as a notational system. I was actually initially proposing we use them all the way. But we decided early on that it would be more suitable to go with illustrative counters plus easy moddability.

Davin Valkri
Captain

Unread postby Davin Valkri » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:33 am

:(

You know, if the unit icons looked like that, I'm not sure I'd have signed up for the beta. I like the "weird little busts" and the squat little tanks. They're informative and give the game a chess-like atmosphere. Also, (I'm not sure this was the intent, but...) they're kinda cute.

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Yes, it's all intended, especially the chess vibe.

Easy
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Easy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:08 pm

I totally think that the units as they are make the game really appealing, especially if you want to win over audiences that are not hard-core wargamers. I personally love them.

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm glad you like them. I really can't see any reasons not to. There was a bit of initial grumpiness about the look amongst more grognardy players over at the Matrix forums, but once people started actually playing the game they adapted fairly quickly and in fact begun to like them.

Yeah, we're aiming at a little bit wider audience than regular wargames do. We tried to make the game appealing to hardcore players as well as novice players. Of course, it's impossible to make everyone 100% happy :)

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 pm

Nope, but i definately think the key is to have a simple surface and then good depth is the key :) And i certainly find the visual look very appealing, and very managable.

Snowwhite
Captain

Unread postby Snowwhite » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:21 am

The unit icons in UOC are a wonderful work of art. All other war games should adopt them. They make the game bright, modern and informative as well as being darn cute. :D