Another NATO counter mod

Post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding.
Mike Dwyer
Second Lieutenant

Another NATO counter mod

Unread postby Mike Dwyer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Well, I might was well throw my lot in with the others modding NATO counters.

First some thanks to others here. Danielefc for getting the first one out, I originally copied the unit he was using. I used his starting unit as a template and drew mine over it. I don't think there is anything left of his unit, or my original ones for that matter since I have started over twice now.

Second to drmidnight for a better way to do it which is much cleaner than the way I started.

Here is what I have so far. Image

I started off using all bitmapped graphics, the Soviet Infantry unit is the best example. I don't like the look as the infantry symbol looks jaggy. So I redid them, the Hungarian infantry is the best example of the second version. The Infantry symbol is vector based and looks much better. The third version is the Panzer division. It is all vector based and looks very clean, but the lines look a little thin. The problem with them is that the step markers and the movement and action icons get lost against the mostly white infantry symbols. I can just give them a color background and they should look ok.

I also redid the elite and veteran markers for the Axis, but I still don't like them.

One problem is the difference between the regular infantry and motorized. Normally I would just use the wheel symbol of two o o , but this gets covered up by all the attachment and step icons. By making my unit symbol a little smaller they fit better, but my still get covered up. So I tried to change the colors around. All the German infantry are white on gray. All Motorized, Panzer and Panzergrenadiers are black on gray.

I plan on doing all the minor German Allies like the Hungarians in the image above. I am also going to use this for the Jaeger units, i will be using the traditional dark green for the jaeager as seen below.

One thing I would love to see is some variation in the Soviet side. Guards Corps were being formed about this time so even if they have the same stats I would like to have a different unit, so the Soviets look a little different.

Please give me some feedback based on what i have so far and I will try to upload the unit_rot files later today or early in the week.

drmidnight
First Lieutenant

Re: Another NATO counter mod

Unread postby drmidnight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Looking good, liking the way you did the other units with the dark green, might have to steal that idea :lol:

Mike Dwyer
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Mike Dwyer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Well I stole the idea myself so I can't really complain. In the end whatever looks the best will get used, and thanks to the way the set up is done people can mix and match.

I was waiting for some feedback, but it looks like it's pretty few and far between. I try to finish the work this weekend and post it.

ichadwick
First Lieutenant

Unread postby ichadwick » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Nicely done. Might want to dim down the white markings on the counters a tad. I recall SPI countersheets started with an off-white or light ivory, not a brilliant white. Otherwise, good job - look forward to seeing and testing the complete set.
Ian
The life so short, the craft so long to learn...
Chaucer, The Parliament of Fowles

Mike Dwyer
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Mike Dwyer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Good idea, I try a set with light gray or cream.

Mike Dwyer
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Mike Dwyer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:43 pm

https://drive.google.com/?tab=Xo&authuser=0#folders/0B4RJYpD7wtvkZmtjbTlCckJYZ00

The above should be a link to my public google drive click that. Then you should see the unit_rot.zip file, right click and download. Make sure you back up your unit_rot before you overwrite it.