[WIP] NATO Counters

Post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding.
drmidnight
First Lieutenant

[WIP] NATO Counters

Unread postby drmidnight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Updated 3.02.13
Ingame of Axis units so far:

Ingame Soviet units so far:

WIP of the Soviets

Symbols so far:
From left to right: Infantry, Cavalry, Mountain Infantry, Motorized Infantry, Mechanized Infantry, Armored

To Do
    Step Animations
    Powerup Icons
    Powerup Animations
    Italian Units
    Romanian Units

Done
    German Units
    Soviet Units
    SS Units
    Hungarian Units
    Step Icons (Might change them)
Last edited by drmidnight on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 am, edited 9 times in total.

Mike Dwyer
Second Lieutenant

Re: [WIP] NATO Counters

Unread postby Mike Dwyer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Those look very good. Better than the set I was working on. :cry: I like the brown for Soviet, but only because I wanted the Guards unit to be red. Too bad they are not a separate unit types like the Axis have minor allied units.

I would keep them both and hope that they give us a few different Soviet unit types to play with.

drmidnight
First Lieutenant

Unread postby drmidnight » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:02 am

Mike Dwyer wrote:Those look very good. Better than the set I was working on. :cry: I like the brown for Soviet, but only because I wanted the Guards unit to be red. Too bad they are not a separate unit types like the Axis have minor allied units.

I would keep them both and hope that they give us a few different Soviet unit types to play with.

I'll provide various colors and you can mix and match whichever versions you like. I made a template with a color layer so it is super easy to change it to any color you can think of.

The Soviets have two infantry icons so you could just make one red and I think it would be random as to what units would be red, not the same as making the Guard units red, but I don't believe that would be possible unless you can decompile/recompile the python files.

Also don't stop making some just because I am :D

Mike Dwyer
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Mike Dwyer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Ok, you convinced my to keep working on my set. I will start a new thread for my mod later and update it as I go along. I am going to follow your example and redo them all with mostly vector layers. Thanks for the great example of how you did them.

One thing you missed is that the soviet unit's should be Corps, so XXX instead of divisions XX.

drmidnight
First Lieutenant

Unread postby drmidnight » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Yeah I planned from the start for the right designation of units, but I am finishing up the German ones first before I move on to the Soviet ones. I was just messing about with some color options.

I updated the German ones a bit. I'm still playing with the design, so I will post another update once I get more time from work to actually progress on these.

ichadwick
First Lieutenant

Unread postby ichadwick » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Like them. Like the clipped corners of the counters. Anyone else remember having nail clippers used specifically to trim the corners and remove the chaff from wargame pieces?
Ian
The life so short, the craft so long to learn...
Chaucer, The Parliament of Fowles

Mike Dwyer
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Mike Dwyer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:36 pm

I really like the texture you put on the base unit. Since we are steeling ideas here, I shall steel that from you as well. (I suspect we will end up making the same thing in the end) :lol:

drmidnight
First Lieutenant

Unread postby drmidnight » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 pm

ichadwick wrote:Like them. Like the clipped corners of the counters. Anyone else remember having nail clippers used specifically to trim the corners and remove the chaff from wargame pieces?

Indeed I do remember, glad someone caught onto that :D

Mike Dwyer wrote:I really like the texture you put on the base unit. Since we are steeling ideas here, I shall steel that from you as well. (I suspect we will end up making the same thing in the end) :lol:

Yeah I felt they needed some sort of noise on it to mesh well otherwise it looked too clean.

I am finishing up the last of the German units and will probably work on the Russian ones soon, then onto the lesser ones and all the little icons.

I had a bunch of ideas that I wanted to implement, but I couldn't get the python files to recompile right so I am forced to work with images only.

EDIT:

WIP of the Soviets

Symbols so far:
From left to right: Infantry, Cavalry, Mountain Infantry, Motorized Infantry, Mechanized Infantry, Armored

Messing with trying to do Hungarian units:

SS Wip

Ingame of Axis units so far:

Ingame Soviet units so far:

nikdav
Colonel

Unread postby nikdav » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Very good job !!

drmidnight
First Lieutenant

Unread postby drmidnight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:52 pm

nikdav wrote:Very good job !!

Still have some work to do on them, not sure if I like the Hungarian units the way they are after playing a few rounds. Also got rid of the circles under the units thanks to Tomislav clarifying how they work.

Ill post some updates later tonight after work and maybe a test build if anyone wants to try them out and give some feedback.