[WIP] NATO Counters

Post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding.
joeyeti
Second Lieutenant

Re: [WIP] NATO Counters

Unread postby joeyeti » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Might I suggest using a solid color for minor nationalities?
That would make them stand out more and you could find them more easily...

That is also why 99.9% wargames use solid colors I believe ;)

Great work btw! I think the best nato counter art for UOC so far!

drmidnight
First Lieutenant

Unread postby drmidnight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:28 pm

joeyeti wrote:Might I suggest using a solid color for minor nationalities?
That would make them stand out more and you could find them more easily..
That is also why 99.9% wargames use solid colors I believe ;)

Great work btw! I think the best nato counter art for UOC so far!

I toyed with solid color units but it wasn't working the way I wanted. I whipped up the little flag just so I could play a couple rounds and I am definitely planning on changing them.

I will see what I can come up with later tonight as far as solid colors go. The main issue is coming up with a color for Romania that isn't a similar red to the Soviets. I have a couple ideas but any suggestions are welcome.

joeyeti
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby joeyeti » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:01 pm

How about that yellow found in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Romania

Of course I do not know if you use yellow already or what shade would be best, but it may be worth a try...

And maybe take it further with dark-blue Nato symbol on yellow field.

joeyeti
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby joeyeti » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:47 am

Here is my own mockup from one of your counters.
I believe you already tried such, but wanted to show my suggestion anyway ;)

Yes, it may be a bit "cartoony" compared to the rest of the counters, but personally I prefer a little bit of "cartoony" anyday before "hard to discern". But maybe that is because I orientate myself on board war games more so far (and/or more grognardy PC wargames).

Italian, Romanian and Hungarian armored units...

nikdav
Colonel

Unread postby nikdav » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:37 pm

I like the use of the national Flags for the minor axis country...........for the SS had you try to use Black and not white lines on the counters.
It would be interesting to see also the german WWII symbols in the future, but the NATO symbols are very good in any case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drmidnight
First Lieutenant

Unread postby drmidnight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:15 am

joeyeti wrote:Here is my own mockup from one of your counters.
I believe you already tried such, but wanted to show my suggestion anyway ;)

Yes, it may be a bit "cartoony" compared to the rest of the counters, but personally I prefer a little bit of "cartoony" anyday before "hard to discern". But maybe that is because I orientate myself on board war games more so far (and/or more grognardy PC wargames).

Italian, Romanian and Hungarian armored units...

I like the way these look, but the colors are a little vivid for my taste, might look better under a lot of the overlay layers I have. I'll try throwing it together a little later.

I also was thinking of doing a colored outer border. I messed around with it a little while ago when I was first starting these and it came out pretty cool.

EDIT: Just took a couple minutes to whip up what I mean ;)

I remember having some counters like this for some boardgame a long long time ago.....wish I could remember the name. I know it doesn't stand out that much, but it's pretty identifiable if every counter has it's nations flag.

nikdav wrote:I like the use of the national Flags for the minor axis country...........for the SS had you try to use Black and not white lines on the counters.
It would be interesting to see also the german WWII symbols in the future, but the NATO symbols are very good in any case.

For the SS I did try black lines but it was a little hard to read. I'll see if I can make it work. I'm not that familiar with the little flag symbols, you have a link to anything about them? I have a pretty cool idea for some counters that utilize the little flags for when I finish up these counters.

I'm also going to release the .psd template I use if anyone wants to mess around with them once I'm done. I made it super easy to adjust so it's very little work to add new units. I have a lot of work to finish up tonight, but I might get around to doing a little bit here and there when I get the time. I have the day off of work tomorrow so I will probably spend a couple hours on these at some point.

joeyeti
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby joeyeti » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:37 am

The outer border idea is nice, though it remains to be seen in real game (after its finished state) if it does not clutter the overall appearance...

And if the color vividness from my mockup would be toned down a bit to blend in more (but still retain its distinctiveness), I guess that would also be a path worth exploring.

nikdav
Colonel

Unread postby nikdav » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:07 pm

This is a good source for the german symbols

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=43

drmidnight
First Lieutenant

Unread postby drmidnight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 pm

joeyeti wrote:The outer border idea is nice, though it remains to be seen in real game (after its finished state) if it does not clutter the overall appearance...

And if the color vividness from my mockup would be toned down a bit to blend in more (but still retain its distinctiveness), I guess that would also be a path worth exploring.

The outer boarders don't clutter it up at all, may feel a little "busy" but everything is still legible and distinct. I'm just sitting down to work on these for a couple hours so I will be posting some shots in a bit with some ingame action. My only issue with the outer boarder is the similar flag colors of the nations.

I'm going to whip up some solid color ones like your mock up too in order to see how they look with 30+ on the screen.

nikdav wrote:This is a good source for the german symbols

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=43

Thanks for this. Once I finish these if I am still in the mood to work on some counters then I will do these. I have a nice idea that could look good using these designations. Is there anything similar for the Soviets?

EDIT: ingame with current version

Needs to be scaled down a bit, not sure if I like them though. I'm also planning on redoing the counters so ignore them for now.

joeyeti
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby joeyeti » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 am

Ignoring them, but commenting anyway 8-)

yes, they are too big for the hex and the flag is hard to read in both versions (at least for me).