Any MP takers?

PvP. Find opponents here.
uran21
2x2 Games

Any MP takers?

Unread postby uran21 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 am

I started 2nd Kharkov PvP if anyone is interested to give it a try.

BTW this is a line from scenario briefing: "PvP version of 2nd Kharkov will be a Soviet scenario, not Axis. This is just a placeholder to test the PvP code."

I guess you realized by now how multiplayer community is rather small among all players. :?

uran21
2x2 Games

Re: Any MP takers?

Unread postby uran21 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 am

One of the best ways to master game mechanics and unit abilities is by playing PvP.
Other skilled player will simply force you to become better at play more than any challenge against AI.

Hotseat, playing against yourself, is a good preparation for particular scenario. It gives one a feeling of both sides involved which then gives ideas for countermeasures.

Since I want to try out how PvP works in Unity of Command from technical perspective I am playing Internet game against myself.

System of matching players by personal contact and code exchanges by PM or mails is not really convenient. Lobby where people could see hosted games would be obvious improvement.

Full History Mode is not really a requirement (in game) but since there is no kind of other way to see opponents moves it comes handy. It is clumsy in this case because every turn of every player needs to be started separately. No continuity in play. What I would expect in PvP is to see forces how I left them and than to start replay of opponents turn.

Slitherine’s PBEM++ system looks as a good role model. Email notification of opponent's turn being played is very handy here.

Undo move is disabled in PvP and in campaign it served a function to search for an optimal combat results. Here all prediction goes on intuition based on previous experiences. Some way to see combat predictions without using undo would be in order.

First time playing as Soviets and now it is clear why AI is not so aggressive in combat during Axis campaign. Soviet side demands different approach to combat.

Game should end when objectives are being met. This way it continues until turn count runs out even if I wiped out myself(one of me) from the map.

Also only one side got Victory proclamation screen.

In general asymmetrical maps are harder to balance but they can be more interesting until some dominant exploit is discovered through experience.

After trying to download replay from this site https://unityofcommand.net/pvp-usg/ all I get is web page full of weird characters.