Tournament 2 Organization

PvP. Find opponents here.
Ritalingamer
Colonel

Tournament 2 Organization

Unread postby Ritalingamer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi everyone -

I would like to get started organizing our second ever official tournament.

First, I would like to get your suggestions and opinions on how the tournament should work.

1) Would you like to divide up into leagues?
This way we could run several smaller league tournaments simultaneously, culminating in a big grand finale tournament between the leagues. It would be like the World Series, but with panzers.

2) If you want to do leagues, how should we organize them? By how frequently you can play? By region?
One idea I had is to divide you up by time zones - for example, one league would be North America and South America, another would be Europe/Africa/Middle East, another would be South Asia/Russia, and the final would be East Asia/Australia/Pacific Ocean. This way you could more easily schedule games with your opponents, rather than trying to send turns back and forth with someone twelve hours away. How does this sound?
That way you could have more simultaneous play instead of just PBEM.

3) If you don't want to do it geographically, we could make leagues based on how frequently you can commit to play. One of the problems we had in the last tournament was people who were unable to play as often, so games would end in a default or a draw.
One league would be for once per day players, another for once per week, a third for once per month, etc.
So, everyone please tell me how often you think you could commit to finishing a scenario.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Tournament 2 Organization

Unread postby Danielefc » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm up for anything - helpful yea? :P

As for how often I can play... after 16 CET most days - Atleast for PBEM.

Cheers

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Oh yea - it might be an idea to post a link to this on steam if you haven't already done so :).

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:20 am

Hi all,

some news from us re: tournament.

We had a chat over the weekend (ante, aesqe and myself) and we figured out that we can prevent first-turn restarting.

It's a simple solution, and should roll out before this next tournament starts. There will be no need to update the game, it's purely a server-side change.

Cheers!

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:50 pm

One more thing: with this new change, all games will start with the same weather.

Therefore, if A and B play two games (with switching sides in-between), once they switch sides for the second game the weather on turn one will be the same as it was in the first game.

After the first turn, weather will still be random, but as the first turn is crucial anyway, this should make the matches more about skill, and less about luck.

Kampfgruppe
Captain

Unread postby Kampfgruppe » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:03 am

Uzelac,

Thank you so much for putting an end to the first turn restart! That is great news, and the weather, as much as I hate it...just as good too! Cheers!

Kampfgruppe
Captain

Unread postby Kampfgruppe » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:12 am

Ritalingamer,

I can play pretty much any time and could volunteer as a league captain if required. Please send an email to everyone who played in the last tournament, all of them. We need to draw in as big a crowd as possible to make this a success, even more so then the first tournament. Leagues is very dependent on how many players will participate. If you draw a big crowd then leagues might be possible.

New scenarios would really be a lot of fun.

Kampfgruppe
Captain

Unread postby Kampfgruppe » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:20 am

Mr. Uzelac,

The last month or so, Grudge has really posted some nice scenarios and ThePinoChef has too. Along with so many others by so many good designers. Lot's of fun and hats of to each of them for taking the time to design such good ones.

If I were you, I would make it possible for any scenario designer to post scenario packs for sale via the UnityofCommand site. $6-$12 dollars for a scenario pack would be a great way to reward those designers and increase your market share, making customers happy with even more replay, and continue to grow UofC. Also, the designers might be tasked with developing a scenario for the tournament, maybe the semi-finals, and the rest.

Thanks for putting on another Tournament. Get as many as possible by sending out an email to all the past customers...short scenarios for the first round, then longer scenarios as the field of players becomes less and less.

VonManestein
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby VonManestein » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:23 pm

id love to play in the tournament.

and i will pay money for ability to download good scenarios

are there any currently available?

Polish Sausage
Cadet

Unread postby Polish Sausage » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi Guys,

Long time player of this game. Perhaps we could do group brackets where the leader will advance to the next round which would then be one-and-done style. These kind of brackets seemed to work in the past.

There is a 10 person tournament in parallel planning on the Unity of Command Steam forums with some pretty talented players. Perhaps we could all merge? It sounds like this tournament has the developers to make it great :D Anyway I would love to be included in the tournament.
Last edited by Polish Sausage on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.