Manual doesn't explain frontline sweeping right.

Post your technical problems here.
cnash
Second Lieutenant

Manual doesn't explain frontline sweeping right.

Unread postby cnash » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:28 am

According to my version of the manual, you sweep up territory when you advance a unit according to a simple formula. If you [come to] own a majority of a hex's neighbors (not counting those across a river), you take control of that hex, unless it's immune for one of three reasons: it's a city, it's an objective, or it's in the enemy ZoC. My manual says:

Moving a unit into enemy territory will give you ownership of the route along which
your unit moved. Additionally, hexes adjacent to the route may be swept along and come
under your ownership under certain conditions.
1. All adjacent hexes that do not contain an enemy unit and are not across a river are
considered.
2. If the considered hex neighbors more of your own hexes than the enemy’s it is swept
along with the following exceptions:
• hex contains an enemy ZOC
• hex is a city
• hex is an objective
3. For all hexes that are swept along, the process is repeated from step 1.

But every time I'm playing the Kuibyshev scenario, the AI uses partisans to cut my rail line. She owns the other bank, and when she takes two hexes on my side of the river, sure enough, the four hexes snap up the middle in a bowtie shape. But that middle hex only has four not-across-the-river neighbors, and the AI doesn't own a majority of them. What gives?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Manual doesn't explain frontline sweeping right.

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:15 am

There is no mention of "not across rivers" in #2. When you count "majority of hexes" you do count across the river hexes.

Rivers are added in #1 so attacker can't "sweep across rivers" simply by moving (we tried without it, it yielded unrealistic results).

As to, is this working in Soviet favor in Kuibyshev - probably yes, but mostly because scenario designer made this supply line intentionally vulnerable ;)

Cheers!

cnash
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby cnash » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:03 am

I see. I had understood (1) to be declaring the scope of the subsequent clauses. But instead, it means that every adjacent cisriparian hex is evaluated for sweeping-along according to the rules in (2).

Also, what's the deal with sweeping-along when a unit is destroyed? I've observed that if I destroy a division whose hex's neighbors all belong to me, I gain ownership of that hex, without having to enter it. What triggers the sweeping-along decision?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:17 am

You are right, this is not explicitly mentioned in the manual.

Frontline sweeping is also triggered when a defending unit retreats, and when partisans are placed.