Problems running the game

Post your technical problems here.
jratman1939
Cadet

Problems running the game

Unread postby jratman1939 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 pm

I first bought UoC around Christmas and have been playing it off and on. I have had no issues right up until about two weeks ago. I would launch the game, the splash screen would come up, and within about a minute and a half, I would no longer be able to interact with icons with my mouse anymore, and shortly thereafter, my mouse would stop working. This is all while the splash screen is still showing. I would be forced to shut down the computer and restart (couldn't even bring up task manager)

First I tried the fix described here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/218090/di ... 677515953/ regarding the Beta-. This worked for one or two plays, then the exact same thing started happening.

I then found somewhere else the recommendation that the word "Safe" is added to the UoC startup file path to make the game run in windowed mode. This worked for a playthrough, then, again, same thing started happening. Regardless of how I start the game now, the splash screen will come up and completely freeze my computer within a couple of minutes.

Needless to say I have verified the game cache, reinstalled it, etc. I cannot find any other fixes that are relevant to my issue. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

aesqe
Marching band

Re: Problems running the game

Unread postby aesqe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 am

Hi jratman1939,

I'm sorry to hear that, but it sounds more like a hardware issue than a Unity of Command bug :/ Especially because everything seems to work OK on the first run, but freezes the computer on the next.

Does this (or a similar situation) happen with any other games?

Did you change anything in your hardware configuration recently?

jratman1939
Cadet

Unread postby jratman1939 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:22 am

No to both questions. I have a fairly powerful gaming rig and I haven't ever had issues running a game.

I actually have "solved" the problem, of sorts - it seems that this is just what the game does now. It's not freezing, it's just starting at a slower rate than anything I've seen since my old Commodore 64 in the 80s. Yesterday I launched it and let it sit just to see what would happen. I timed it on three startups - at just about 12 minutes and 30 seconds after the splash screen first appears, the game finally starts. Previously I'd always restarted my computer around the 5 or 6 minute mark, confident that if it was going to start, it would have by that point.

It is of course ludicrous to wait that long for a game to start, but if that's the way it is, well, at least I can play it. I run other more intensive games at max specs without any sort of unseemly delay or problem.

Any input is of course still welcome, as I'd really like for it to start up in the 20-25 seconds it used to take instead of over 10 minutes.

aesqe
Marching band

Unread postby aesqe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 am

Oh boy, that's gotta be a startup time record o.O

I don't think anyone reported anything like this before...

You could start your task manager before you start UoC, and then monitor the CPU / Memory / HDD usage while the game is trying to start up. That could at least tell us if it's really UoC hogging the resources.

Best if you e-mail me at [email protected] so I can create a download page for you on our site. Maybe a standalone version of the game would start up normally for you.

jratman1939
Cadet

Unread postby jratman1939 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:49 am

I don't have access to my computer right now, on the road, but I did something similar to that - I have a program called CoreTemp that watches my computer temperature/memory usage/etc. I did not run TM while UoC starts, but I did notice every time whenever I would start UoC, CoreTemp would record my memory usage spiking greatly (and the increase in memory usage was not as extreme with any other game). However, since it wasn't TM I can't say yes it was definitely UoC taking up the memory usage but I'd certainly assume so. Frankly I'm baffled. Especially since it never did this the first couple months I had it. No computer changes, no hardware changes, nothing whatsoever, and no problems with any other game/program/what have you.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi J,

as aesqe suggested, let's see if the non-steam version fixes this for you. Give us a ring when you can at the support email address and we'll set you up.

Cheers,

Tomislav