Long start/end turn times

Post your technical problems here.
RambOrc
Captain

Long start/end turn times

Unread postby RambOrc » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Not sure whether it's present in all versions or only on OS X, but the already somewhat longish scenario load and turn start times of the original game grew significantly longer in Red Turn. Starting every single turn takes about 30 seconds and even ending a turn takes about 10 seconds.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Long start/end turn times

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:01 pm

This is a result of the weather engine configuration being significantly more complex in "Red Turn". It has to do more work each time the weather engine is run, which is at the start of each turn (but not at the end, and that's why you see a difference).

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Ending turns also takes several times longer than in the original game (10 seconds instead of a few).

I've run Activity Monitor and for the system total, CPU is 95% idle during player turn while doing nothing, 85% idle during player turn while selecting a unit and moving target reticle, 85% while the computer takes its turn and moves units, 85% while ending a turn and 85% while starting a turn. This is on a 3.2 GHz quad core Xeon with a total of 8 threads.

Memory usage is 420 MB real mem + 470 MB virtual mem, with over 15 GB physical memory free and over 4 GB physical memory inactive.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 am

I'll run some profiles when I'm working on the next update in January.

But I suspect this is simply due to scenarios being bigger in Red Turn. The game will pre-render the entire map at the start of each turn for example, so if the map area covered is bigger, there's that much more work for the CPU.