Post your technical problems here.
void
Cadet

[Linux] Missing font? - SOLVED

Unread postby void » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Edit by 2xPelin: Jumo to _solution_ - viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1663&start=10#p5857
----------
Hello,

First off, thank you very much for the linux version.
There also is a linux demo - this is kinda exceptional.

When i start the demo there are only little boxes instead of letters.
Perhaps a font is missing? Heared about 1 guy in steam (beta) forums with the same problem.

I dont want to bore you with my distribution/configuration because this is one of the things that just *have* to work.

This is the full console out:
"there is no soundcard"
I have the menu sound btw. ;)

Could not start a game ... cant find the right button without text...

Best regards

//Edit: This problem occurs with and without steam....

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: [Linux] Missing font?

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:23 pm

void wrote:I dont want to bore you with my distribution/configuration because this is one of the things that just *have* to work.

This is in fact distribution dependent, I've seen the report you mention.

Once the DLC is out, I will go through this to make sure things work for people who have problems on distros other than Ubuntu (which was our target for the initial release).

FWIW, the windows version should work fine under Wine if you want to play in the meantime.

Cheers!

void
Cadet

Unread postby void » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I played the demo with wine. Archieving a "decisive victory" isnt that easy but very rewarding ... and its a easy mission!! :)
The game is very enjoyable.

May i ask how UoC is rendering its font? What libs/whatever is needed? Im curious whether i can fix it myself ... :)

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:50 am

void wrote:May i ask how UoC is rendering its font? What libs/whatever is needed?

We're rendering fonts using pango and freetype, so pretty standard fare on Linux. All fonts used are from "liberation fonts" package. It's probably possible to fix the issue all by yourself too.

hermbot
Cadet

Unread postby hermbot » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:20 am

I just wanted to tune in and say that I'm experiencing the same issue running Xubuntu. Nothing but boxes. It looks like I have all of the necessary fonts installed, so I'm not sure where the hangup is.

This may seem like a silly question, but why not just bundle the font ttf files with the game installation?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 am

hermbot wrote:why not just bundle the font ttf files with the game installation?

Even people who have the necessary fonts (liberation fonts) have reported the same issue.

So it's something to do either with some dynamically (i.e. with dlopen) loaded libraries that we are not shipping; or, maybe, something with fontconfig.

I promise to look into it once the DLC is out and I get some sleep. Eventually, I believe anyone with a modern-ish kernel should be able to run the game, no matter which distribution they're running.

gwagen
Newcomer

Unread postby gwagen » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 pm

I picked up the linux steam demo and think I have mostly puzzled out the problem (and have a quick fix, for slackware at least).

Here is mostly a cut'n'paste from my post to the steam forum:

That was enough to figure out how to fix the problem. It is looking for an /etc/pango/pango.modules and it even tells you how to make one in the log if it is missing. Unfortunately on a multilib system what it tells you to do will generate a list of the 64bit libraries which doesn't work with this 32 bit application. Looking on my system (slackware), inside the /etc/pango directory are two directories, one which holds the pango.modules for 32 bits and one for 64 bit.

To fix it for the purposes of the game, link the 32 bit version of the modules file to the /etc/pango directory and you are good to go. Presumably the distribution is smart enough to look in the correct place for this file if it needs to.

ie.

Code: Select all

cd /etc/pango ln -s i486-slackware-linux/pango.modules pango.modules
\

If your distribution doesn't supply the pango.modules file for you, you need to create a pango.modules file with:

pango-querymodules > '/etc/pango/pango.modules'

And then find the location of the 32 bit version of all the pango libraries (probably /usr/lib/pango/1.6.0/modules assuming pango 1.6) and switch around the library paths in the file created above to pick up the 32 bit libs.

Once you have done this, everything seems to work ok (well, all I have done is look at the main menu and start a game).

Chris.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 am

Thanks Chris. :)

I suppose the solution is to ship these modules along with the game, and probably the fonts too. So, not even a new version, just a rebuild with some changes in pyinstaller configuration.

CarrKnight
Newcomer

Unread postby CarrKnight » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:27 pm

I really would like to try this game out on linux steam, but I also have font problems. Running Fedora 64bit. Hope you guys fix it soon. Cheers

Elfe
Newcomer

Unread postby Elfe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi,

the file /etc/pango/pango.modules does not exist on my gentoo64 system. Creating it with pango-querymodules32 would probably work but the file is already present on the system.

find /etc/pango/ -type f                                                                                                           
/etc/pango/pangox.aliases                                                                                                                                                                       
/etc/pango/i686-pc-linux-gnu/pango.modules
/etc/pango/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/pango.modules

To fix it I created the .pangorc file in my home directory.

cat ~/.pangorc
[Pango]
ModuleFiles=/etc/pango/i686-pc-linux-gnu/pango.modules