Game crashes on startup

Post your technical problems here.
Bismuth
Cadet

Game crashes on startup

Unread postby Bismuth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:36 am

Hi,

I have installed this game via Steam and I'm getting the following error in the log file as soon as run the game:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "uoc.py", line 119, in <module>
RuntimeError: APPDATA not set

Any idea what this means?
Thanks!

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Game crashes on startup

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:34 am

Hi Bismuth,

yes we've had this reported before. It's a problem with your machine rather than a bug. The error means that the environment variable APPDATA is not set on your machine when it should always be set (in any version of Windows).

1. Please check that the following path exists and is readable: C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Roaming.

2. Now check if APPDATA is correctly set. In Windows Explorer address bar type %APPDATA%. Normally this should take you to this directory above, but in your case it will report an error.

The following solution should work for most systems, but please note that you're really fixing your system here and not the game itself. It would make sense to investigate why APPDATA is not set when it must be according to Microsoft.

Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advanced System Settings. Click on "Environment Variables" and add a new user variable.
Variable Name = APPDATA
Variable Value = C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Roaming

Cheers!

Bismuth
Cadet

Re: Game crashes on startup

Unread postby Bismuth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Thank You! This worked.
For some reason, I had a variable called "AV_APPDATA" instead of "APPDATA" so I added the new one.