Norton alert on uoc.exe file

Post your technical problems here.
mtaylor
Second Lieutenant

Re: Norton alert on uoc.exe file

Unread postby mtaylor » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:40 am

As of this evening, 23 December 2012, AVG is detecting the Steam supplied uoc.exe as infected.

Hando
Cadet

Unread postby Hando » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Steam allowed the demo ok, but I can't get the exe through my Norton, it mentions the same things as above, including the Heuristic Virus.

I'm no genius, so am trying to work out a way around this, now you've confirmed the file is safe.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Hando,

yes, the file is safe. People here and on Steam forums have suggested to add an exception to your antivirus software so that it skips the Unity of Command directory. I'm not sure what the exact procedure would be for the antivirus software in question. If anyone knows this, please contribute.

What is really bizarre is that these AV engines are flagging Steam DRM-ed files at all! You would imagine their engineers would figure out by now that because Steam is the worlds largest distributor of PC games, their DRM is probably not malware :evil:

I will do my part in reporting false positives, but for example with this release, VirusTotal reports no detection for all engines (and that includes Norton and AVG!). Crazy...

donasrd2
Newcomer

"Failed to Start Game: Missing Executable"

Unread postby donasrd2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:35 am

I too have this problem and have yet to actually play the &^%$*! game since purchasing and downloading it from Steam (which happily took my money also, and mechanically & quickly passed the buck to this UoC site when I reported this disabling obstacle to them, one that renders my game utterly inoperative - a waste of my money & time). Hando's insight in this forum as to anti-virus (AV) software possibly being the cause generally is interesting, seems like a solid lead for someone with the requisite expertise and professional responsibility (e.g., anyone at Steam awake & reading this?!) should investigate. In the meantime though it leaves us saps, er, I mean Steam customers just as dead-in-the-water as before. I call on Steam and the big AV guys out there (Symantec/Norton 360 in my case) to investigate the problem, find and issue a fix to all purchasers of Unity of Command. You owe your customers no less.

Kitsune Cavalry
Cadet

Unread postby Kitsune Cavalry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Yo don, chill out man. These things can be resolved, and it's quite nice of the developers to be interacting with their fanbase so intimately.
"If economists could be seen as humble, competent ponies on the level of mailmares, that would be splendid."
-John Neighnard Keynes

TomWest
Newcomer

Unread postby TomWest » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:58 am

I just wanted to say that I purchases Unity of Command an hour ago (Feb 2, 2013), and got the same Norton alert (and it deleted UoC.exe) as everyone else here. Obviously the problem hasn't been completely solved, or a new update has occurred that hasn't been white-listed by Norton.

bobson
Newcomer

Unread postby bobson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I also actually purchased the game via steam and my Norton (up to date) deleted the .exe beacause of the known problem.
Although everybody here says the file is OK there is a bad feeling because of the Norton warning.

As I can see the problem isn´t really solved and it now exists for more than 4 months....