Linux

Ask, comment, read.
Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Linux

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi all,

we made an experimental version of Unity of Command for Linux. 8-)

Linux Demo is available from the usual location. If you want to play UoC on Linux, make sure you try the demo first, as we can't be certain that it will work on your particular distribution. There's an included README in the tarball, Linux folks will know how find their way around this.

We also have a Linux version of the full game. Existing customers who wish to play on Linux should email support for a download link.

This is very much a new thing so please report on your experiences in this thread. Many thanks to people who make linux, python, pygame, cairo, pyinstaller and all other wonderful software on which UoC is built - possible. We've had word that Steam release for Linux is veery close, so we worked extra hard to be a part of this. It should be a great day for Linux. :)

Cheers,

Tomislav

Teodosio
First Lieutenant

Re: Linux

Unread postby Teodosio » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:01 pm

Thank you, I have been waiting for this!
I am in holydays now but I will try it as soon as I'm back.

Cheers! :D

Teodosio
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Teodosio » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:49 pm

I installed and launched the demo and it seemed to work fine. I have buntu 64bit.

Then I discovered that Unity of Command is already available on Steam beta for Ubuntu too! I downloaded the full game in Steam and I gave it a try, it seems to be working too.

As soon as I can I will try to copy my campaign files from my windows partition and to continue my campaign from Ubuntu. I will let you know if I meet any issues.

Many thanks!! :D

jeremywc
Newcomer

Unread postby jeremywc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:29 am

I picked up UoC today in the Steam sale and I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to provide a native Linux build of the game. I'm sure it's not easy for a small team to support another OS, but I am so happy to have such an elegant game on my favorite platform. So far it's ran flawlessly for me. :-)

LaLose
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby LaLose » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Hello,
I want to thank you for this Linux version and for this game :) I play UoC from Steam Linux and it works perfectly!
This game is abolutely great and I find many similarities with the books I read about the Eastern Front : logistic, encirclement of troops and so on.
UoC is a bit like chess : I play a game, I lose, I analyse it and I notice that I can improve this or that, if I control this railway then I can support my troops in this direction, consequently I have to attack first this point to secure my supplies then Iit allow me to break this ennemy line and to push my armored troops, then I.... etc etc. I am still playing the campaign but I look forward the next extension of UoC :D

Edit : one last thing, I bought UoC on Steam because I have not found the Linux version on your website. maybe you should precise this point on the home page => "We also have a Linux version of the full game. Existing customers who wish to play on Linux should email support for a download link. "

hero1900
Cadet

Unread postby hero1900 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:41 am

thx for the linux support i just bought it. i tried the demo and the game really good, but i got some crashes in demo will see full version and report back any thing.
:D

Teodosio
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Teodosio » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I completed on Ubuntu the Axis campaign I had started under Windows and I met no issues at all.
Thanks for the great job! :)

Grenator
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Grenator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 am

Successfully set up the game on Ubuntu 12.04 on my old laptop. No problems at all, although I do have to use the 'sdl-fullscreen' thingy, since otherwise the game window doesn't resize to fit the screen and the desktop bars remain on top.

runequester
Cadet

Unread postby runequester » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm

The demo crashed hard for me, but I've been playing the full game and DLC on two different machines (both Kubuntu, one 32 and one 64 bit) without a single crash, bug or glitch