Any Mods?

Ask, comment, read.
carbondioxide
First Lieutenant

Any Mods?

Unread postby carbondioxide » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Is anyone working on a mod for UoC? Would love to see one on the Western Front/Normandy.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Any Mods?

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:45 pm

The official expansion, now in the works, is going to be more Eastern Front. Lots of it, in fact. ;)

Normandy, and other campaigns in the West, are not such a good fit for the current (unmodified) game engine. For example, even if you don't simulate the Normandy landings themselves, you would at least need more elaborate air for that campaign. On the other hand, campaigns like Africa may require us to "zoom in" because forces involved there are relatively small compared to the Eastern Front.

I think campaigns in the West should feel different - much more technical as you need to have air, land and sea all working together. There's less emphasis on maneuver, but intel is very important so I think we must have FoW and some way to meaningfully convey the intel. I find myself thinking about that one often.

In any case, it's more Soviets next, and then we'll see...

memorex80
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby memorex80 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Hello Tomislav,

Have read your comment and two questions rose quickly:
(1) When the "official expansion" will be available ?
(2) Will it be free ?

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:The official expansion, now in the works, is going to be more Eastern Front. Lots of it, in fact. ;)

Yay - any chance of some Bagration in it? Always skipped over in games :(

Gryphonrider
Captain

Unread postby Gryphonrider » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:06 am

memorex80 wrote:Hello Tomislav,

Have read your comment and two questions rose quickly:
(1) When the "official expansion" will be available ?
(2) Will it be free ?

First up is 'the big patch', which will be free.
There's no ETA on 'the big patch' or the 'official expansion' yet.
I'm safely assuming the 'official expansion' will not be free.
Price will depend on the type of expansion, whether the base-game is required to play.
A stand-alone expansion usually is more expensive.

carbondioxide
First Lieutenant

Unread postby carbondioxide » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:The official expansion, now in the works, is going to be more Eastern Front. Lots of it, in fact. ;)

Normandy, and other campaigns in the West, are not such a good fit for the current (unmodified) game engine. For example, even if you don't simulate the Normandy landings themselves, you would at least need more elaborate air for that campaign. On the other hand, campaigns like Africa may require us to "zoom in" because forces involved there are relatively small compared to the Eastern Front.

I think campaigns in the West should feel different - much more technical as you need to have air, land and sea all working together. There's less emphasis on maneuver, but intel is very important so I think we must have FoW and some way to meaningfully convey the intel. I find myself thinking about that one often.

In any case, it's more Soviets next, and then we'll see...

Thanks for the update. Can't wait for more Eastern Front. I'm guessing 1943+.

As for the Western Front, I agree on the FoW being key and airpower having more of an impact. Also, maybe if you shrink the scale from division level down to battalion or regiment level, you could then simulate the smaller scale battles in Normandy? Instead of entire theater map, scale the map to say just Caen region or St Lo region or Cherbourg etc. There were a number of "campaigns" that would make for interesting scenarios such as Operation Epsom, Goodwood, Cobra, Charnwood, Cherbourg, etc.