Metacritic

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 pm

We have a metascore now, and currently it sits at a cool 86. Pretty good :D

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/unity-of-command

Wosh
Cadet

Re: Metacritic

Unread postby Wosh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:00 am

That's not only good, that's great in my opinion and when you do click on "games - pc", Unity of Command is currently listed as one of the new games available. :)

That's how i learned about this game in the first place. I haven't bought your game yet but i'm going to. Now i may not be a big strategy wargame fan but i do like to support indie developers the best i can. Furthermore your game is said to be accessible to beginner strategists, it has a great AI (which is important to me) and i personally love the art style as well. Who knows it might just grow on me and from what i've seen and read it most likely will.

I know you're probably doing your best to get the word out, if you need any help in any way to do so...please do say. I would and i'm sure others would too...help you makes this game a success or bigger success :)

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:42 am

I really think you should play the game first ;) but you're right: we should do more to get the word out.

It's hard to do that with ads and similar though, the big publishers have so much money they'll drown anything we put out. So we try to promote via word of mouth as much as possible.

There's many simple things you could do, and each one helps. You could post about the game in forums where you're a member (it's no good if I come and troll them, it should be someone known), you can retweet @unityofcommand posts on twitter or make a video for youtube... You could also write a short review if you bought the game from one of our distributors (Matrix, GG, MacGameStore).

At this point for us, everything counts really :)

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Cool stuff - maybe Steam will be a little more open now. Atleast they use metacritic for their store and I've seen plenty of crap there with alot lower scores ;).

So frustrating that this good a game is not wider known! Good point with forums. Will try to spread the word there aswell :)

Wosh
Cadet

Unread postby Wosh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:08 pm

I've also read that more and more people on the general steam forums have begun asking Valve to get Unity of Command, sooner or later they better wake up. If you do get it on steam i want Achievements :)

it might seem like a silly thing, but in my opinion it shows even more dedication towards the game. I'm always pleased to see more and more indie games on steam having achievements and I honestly think it helps sales. I does actually influence where i want to spend my money, not greatly...but everything counts.

Buying the game now...

EDIT...Bought

Playing...

kop101
First Lieutenant

Unread postby kop101 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Good news, for me metascore is one of the main factors when I consider buying a game. Also I want to remind that everyone can write a user review there at metacritic, it affects general rating aswell. Just wrote mine 8-)

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Just some quick info:

The people I've heard from in Paradox's Forums (only been some hours). One wants to buy but is short on money and the other two dont want to play games that lack counters. Although this is a very very small sample of people the ones that mention counters actually do make a good point i think. Alot of wargamers only play with counters and scoff at anything that doesn't offer this option. If its not too much work maybe it would be an idea to add a counters option in an eventual expansion.

EDIT: Lack of a demo is also metioned on alot of forums

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 pm

There are several counter mods available in the Modding Forum on Matrix Games. They should be trivial to install.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:18 pm

I know we should do a demo. Everyone thinks it's something you can do in a day or whatever, but I just know it's going to mushroom into another month-long time killer. Mark my words there :?

I need to sort out a few things first... there's a bit more work with Pieter for the expansion and some distribution deals to finish up. We'll see after that...

Razor
Newcomer

Unread postby Razor » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am

I think you really need to add an option to use standard icons/counters. I know the cartoonish busts are keeping a lot of people from getting the game. It's not that they don't look good, they are both beautiful and artsy, but most wargamers are so used to standard icons that this becomes a very big problem. I'm on the fence myself because of this, as I don't know if I could ever get used to those busts. Was it not for this, I would have bought the game already.

And mods are not the answer, mods are something you use to prolong the lifespan of a game after you've got bored with the standard content, it's not something that should be required at the beginning just to start playing the game.