Question About AI Behavior

Ask, comment, read.
aRob76
Second Lieutenant

Question About AI Behavior

Unread postby aRob76 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:32 pm

I ran into a problem w/ some of the AI play in 2Kharkov scenario, and I'm posting a replay as...a sort of proof. Manual is pretty clar about how partisans can be used, and how they can't. They can't be posted to cities, objectives, adjacent to existing bridges or supply sources, and not on rail hexes. Yet look at turns four and five of the attacked replay. Looks to me as though AI has posted partisans next to a bridge fairly early on. But the real zinger came on my Axis turn five. The AI put partisans on my rail line in the south and cut off supply to most of my units. Didn't matter to game's outcome, since the turn five attacks ended the scenario, but the AI behavior seems contrary to the manual and begs an explanation.

Can anyone explain the AI's behavior?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ante
2x2 Games

Re: Question About AI Behavior

Unread postby ante » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Partisans are posted in a wood near the bridge. See the image of that action.
Adjacent positions to existing bridge are 2 positions that are connected with that bridge. In this case positions where rail is passing.
After posting partisans in the wood, hex with 4 neighbouring positions occupied by AI also becomes occupied.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aRob76
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby aRob76 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:42 am

I think what I hear you saying is that you can capture a hex (any hex?) by surrounding it w/ four partisan controled hexes? Bear in mind that one of the partisan hexes involved w/ this example is across a river from the captured hex.

Any other issues you can think of that aren't coverd by the manual?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:24 am

This is in fact covered by the manual, on page 19 under "Front Line", but the manual doesn't say this rule is applied for partisans too. What you see is "sweeping" as described there.

We should add a line to the manual saying that this rule applies to partisans (also: when the enemy retreats). Good Spotting, thx!

aRob76
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby aRob76 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:14 pm

It would be helpful if the manual were explicit about a four hex sourround causing the "sweeping" action. The good news is that light is now shed on utility of partisans, and how to use them.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:55 am

The formulation in the manual is, strictly speaking, correct. For example, if we are talking about a hex on the edge of the map (which has only 4 neighboring hexes altogether) then you only need to own three of those surrounding hexes to sweep it.

Various other combinations are possible when you take into account the coastline, corners of the map, etc.