No move take back & no saves?

Ask, comment, read.
id3945
First Lieutenant

Re: No move take back & no saves?

Unread postby id3945 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 am

In fact, i've decided to give up on Unity of Command until a future patch comes out which includes an orthodox saving system (and cheat codes), which I feel it will inevitably end up doing. The potential for frustration is too great with the current status quo as the only way to exit a game without the auto-save over-writing everything is, as I noted, pulling the electric plug from the computer. I've never come across a PC game with this crippling limitation before.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:59 am

Hey, I'm sorry to hear this. I understand your frustration but I do hope you try again.

Re: autosave, we had complaints, but we had many positive reactions too. It's not our intent to be evil here, we just tried to mix up the old formula somewhat. :?

id3945
First Lieutenant

Unread postby id3945 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks for being swift and up front with your response. I usually buy games after the first patch or so has been released when the teething problems have been resolved. As I said, I feel the inability to make saves, or even exit the program without auto-saving, benefits nobody and is something that should be fixed in future patches.

Otherwise, I thought it was a good fun strategy game.

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:38 pm

id, just to be sure, you do know that you can re-start the campaign from the beginning of any of the previously played (or current) scenarios? People seem to miss that easily. So in a case you badly screw up a scenario not the whole campaign effort is lost.

id3945
First Lieutenant

Unread postby id3945 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Yes, I'm aware that campaign scenarios can be restarted. Stalingrad's a long scenario, though, and I don't fancy re-playing a few hours of gameplay. If I go back to the game I'll probably finish the Stalingrad scenario as it is, abandon the campaign and play the remaining scenarios as individual one-off scenarios.

logan5
First Lieutenant

Unread postby logan5 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:29 pm

id3945 wrote:Yes, I'm aware that campaign scenarios can be restarted. Stalingrad's a long scenario, though, and I don't fancy re-playing a few hours of gameplay. If I go back to the game I'll probably finish the Stalingrad scenario as it is, abandon the campaign and play the remaining scenarios as individual one-off scenarios.

you are probably going to have to do that anyway, because if you dont get a brilliant victory at stalingrad you will not be able to play kuibyshev

id3945
First Lieutenant

Unread postby id3945 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:35 pm

logan5 wrote:
id3945 wrote:Yes, I'm aware that campaign scenarios can be restarted. Stalingrad's a long scenario, though, and I don't fancy re-playing a few hours of gameplay. If I go back to the game I'll probably finish the Stalingrad scenario as it is, abandon the campaign and play the remaining scenarios as individual one-off scenarios.

you are probably going to have to do that anyway, because if you dont get a brilliant victory at stalingrad you will not be able to play kuibyshev

What is the campaign tree after the Stalingrad scenario? The campaign map shows it as:

>> Astrakhan >>> Kuibyshev

Does that mean the campaign ends if I can only get a regular victory as opposed to a decisive or brilliant one?

logan5
First Lieutenant

Unread postby logan5 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Yes, campaign is over.. and if you didn't get a decisive victory in case blue you don't get to play the other branch, basically I gave up on the campaign at this point.. and I will have to play Baku and Kuibyshev maps on their own.. I did get a decisive victory on stalingrad after playing it about 10 times and I am not about to waste my time playing it anymore than that. The game is very unforgiving and leaves no room for error, one mistake will ruin your brilliant victory.. I think they should have just let us play through the game as long as you complete a scenario you move on to the next one.

id3945
First Lieutenant

Unread postby id3945 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Okay, well in a way it's turned out lucky that I made my error in this scenario then, as I won't be getting either of the top two victory targets.

My comments still stand about the need, I feel, for a revision of the auto-save system. There should at least be an option to quit the game without saving.

Anyway, I think'll probably end up doing the scenarios individually as I'm the kind of gamer that prefers to keep moving through scenarios rather than repeating them trying to get the perfect victory.

I'm going to get back to the game now. I'd enjoyed what I'd played so far and will probably be interested in future developments, like new campaigns, maps and the possibilities of the multiplayer option, which I haven't tried yet. Thanks for the Stalingrad info to get me going again.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 am

I too didn't bother trying to get the brilliant victory in the campaign, but I found the single missions worked just as well and I didn't have to grind a single scenario until I beat it, but as you said, could play each mission until I got bored and played the next.

I think the requirement for brilliant victory in the campaign is quite unreasonable, since even the best players can't always guarantee a BV for a mission. It should be possible to finish the campaign, albeit without so many medals, even if you are just an adequate player.