3rd Kharkov

Ask, comment, read.
jpjones2
Second Lieutenant

3rd Kharkov

Unread postby jpjones2 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 pm

I need a lot of help with this scenario, and there doesn't seem to be any guidance in the Scenario section - why? Anyway, all of my troups are out of supply by the 3rd turn. It is way too easy for the Soviets to constantly just cut the supply channel. The only thing I can thing to do is spend the first 2 turns in full retreat, wait for reinforcements, and cover all of the rail lines, then slowly and protectively proceed along the 3 rail lines. To do that however, one could never achieve the goals. Would someone please start a "3rd Kharkov Forum"? Thank you.

Arctic-Nation
Major

Re: 3rd Kharkov

Unread postby Arctic-Nation » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:11 pm

3rd Kharkov is one of those scenarios where you can't keep all your units in supply all of the time, though only in the southeast, around Stalino. In that case, move your units in and out of supply as needed, and avoid that the units which need supplies end up in an enemy ZOC if/when attacking. The SS Panzer Corps southwest of Kharkov should never be OoS: you have just enough units to build a defensive line. The lone supply point in the north should not be abandoned, it keeps some Soviet infantry tied up. The critical point is the railway line running through Dnepropetrovsk and Zaporozhye, which is needed to supply your forces to the east.

A good strategy is to use the first four turns to weaken the Soviets with well-calculated attacks - you don't have enough units to burn through rashly. I'd actually recommend against using your heavy hitters to destroy enemy formations; weakening them to two steps is sufficient to throw them out of the fight, and it allows you to take on more units in a single turn. Once you have a little more infantry units, you can still crush them completely. Further, you can recycle one of your three-step armour formations to reinforce some others. At the same time, keep your eyes open for good attack opportunities. For example, that OoS armour unit in the south is a juicy target for your panzers.

And then, in turn 4, you should be able to attack Kharkov directly. Use your strongest units to minimize your losses (you shouldn't take any, actually), move in an infantry unit to take the city (it'll be turn 5), and whatever units you have left should be sent to the north immediately.

I've attached a save game (with BV) showing how it can be done. Dump it in your save folder and try not to repeat the mistakes you can see me make. It was a quickie, really.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jpjones2
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby jpjones2 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:07 pm

First of all, thank you so much for the advise and the response. I really appreciate it. I am a novice at this type of game (but enjoy them), and so guidance from experienced players is very helpful. I will take your suggestions and retry the 3rd Kharko scenario.

As a second point (if you have another minute or two), for whatever reason I can never open these "saved game" files (.usg) that are posted in the forums. I have a MacBook Pro, and it automatically downloads into the "Downloads" folder on the Dock. When I try to open it for there, I get a message saying that it can't be opened by Unity of Command. I don't get it? I would like to see how other people approached a scenario, but can't seem to do it. Might it be because these files have been posted by PC users?

Thanks again for the help.

JP

HappyDaze
Captain

Unread postby HappyDaze » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:38 am

jpjones2 wrote:As a second point (if you have another minute or two), for whatever reason I can never open these "saved game" files (.usg) that are posted in the forums. I have a MacBook Pro, and it automatically downloads into the "Downloads" folder on the Dock. When I try to open it for there, I get a message saying that it can't be opened by Unity of Command. I don't get it? I would like to see how other people approached a scenario, but can't seem to do it. Might it be because these files have been posted by PC users?

Hi jp,

It's been a while since you posted this, so I don't know whether you found an answer to your problem already or not, but here is what you have to do. First of all, drag the DLed file from the Downloads folder onto your desktop. Then open UoC. Next, click on Load Game and then Open Saved Games Folder. Now you can drag the .usg file into the Saved Games Folder. Close it and you are good to go.

Happy (fellow Mac user)