AI Disband....

Ask, comment, read.
TJD
Cadet

AI Disband....

Unread postby TJD » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 am

I've played Uranus a few times and whenever I seize Kalach on the first turn and seal the kessel, the AI responds on its turn by using the disband option to mount serial attacks on Kalach. The result is that it is always able to retake Kalach, no matter how well garrisoned it is. Each trapped unit comes up, takes its shot, and is then disbanded to make room for the next unit. Eventually the Russian unit is worn down no matter how strong it is (usually it's a veteran Cav.) There are only 2 hexes I think the AI can attack from, and space is limited inside the kessel, so this is actually quite a smart tactic. However, it does seem sort of unreasonable, and I'd suggest that this behaviour be limited in the next patch. The human player I believe is penalized for disbanding and I would never think of disbanding 4 5 or 6 times in one move, but the AI does it here with total impunity.

Great game, guys. Love it.

Best,

Tim

ssg_butcher
Captain

Re: AI Disband....

Unread postby ssg_butcher » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:44 am

I had the exact same problem when playing this scenario. The way I got around this was to avoid seizing the objective on the first turn. I would sacrifice my infantry by attacking the enemy mechanized units so when the AI did garrison the objective he would not be able to place a powerful unit there. I would station one of my mechanized armies just across the river allowing him to attack and cross after wearing the garrison down with some of my other units. Seems counter intuitive to wait, but that's what you have to do.