New rules with the 1.04 version and DLC

Ask, comment, read.
Charly G
Second Lieutenant

New rules with the 1.04 version and DLC

Unread postby Charly G » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 am

There is no note about changes in the 1.04 version and DLC.

I've read on your blog :

"We’ve made several changes to “Unity of Command” core game mechanics in our upcoming “Road to Berlin” expansion. It’s not a huge number of changes and really they’re not all that big, as we believe the game is solid basically. That said, some modifications were called for, to correctly capture the Soviet way of war during this “Third Period of the Great Patriotic War”.

#1 Disbanding Units
You are now docked between 25 and 200 prestige when you disband a unit. The only exception is the first (in a scenario) disband of a weak unit which is free, otherwise the costs mount rapidly.
This should quickly put a break on various gamey tactics that involved disbanding a large number of your own units, especially in the last turn. The precise formulation of the rule is as follows: for the first disband in a scenario your prestige penalty is 50 (0 if the unit is weak), for the second it’s 100 (25) and for third and all later disbands it’s 200 (50).

#2 Theater Assets
Scenario designer can now opt to limit the number of theater assets available per scenario, not just per turn. The main motivation behind this rule change was to limit the total amount of logistics a player can deploy, especially in some of the longer scenarios.
Another good use we’ve found for this is to limit bridging. In the original game, players are given 1 bridging per turn (or none at all). Which means, provided there are enough suitable locations, they can build 8 bridges in the course of an 8-turn scenario (!) In the expansion bridging will be say, 1 per turn, but limited to 1 or 2 total uses in the scenario.

#3 Repulsed Attacks
If combat is resulting in high losses for the attacker, and there is no gain (defender losses are 0 or 1sup) the attacking unit may break off the attack to minimize losses. This attack is then considered repulsed.
More precisely, after taking 2 step losses in such no-gain combat, there will be a 50% chance of the attack being repulsed. If the attack is not repulsed, another step loss is taken. This is repeated until potentially all step losses (according to the CRT) are taken by the attacker.

#4 Artillery Supported Infantry vs. Entrenchments
Artillery supported infantry units now have a good chance (35-65%) to breach enemy entrenchments (this works out as 5% per active step and 10% per artillery shift). Very importantly, this also works against units that are entrenched in cities, forests or swamps, even if regular artillery shifts don’t. It does not, however, work when attacking into mountains or ruins.

…aaand that’s it, really. I’d say we didn’t introduce too much clutter into the game, but of course I’d say that. We’ll see what the testers say, and then we’ll take it from there."

I would like to know if all these changes were approved and if you have added other new rules.

Thanks and congratulations for this DLC.

RambOrc
Captain

Re: New rules with the 1.04 version and DLC

Unread postby RambOrc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Do you get negative prestige at the end of the scenario or can you not disband units at all if you lack the prestige?

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 pm

The manual addendum didn't make it into the initial release because we sort of had to hurry to compile the final version. I've attached the work in progress version.

Short answer: the changes mentioned in the blog are in.

No idea if you can get negative prestige, however. I'm guessing you can't disband if you don't have enough prestige. There was a negative prestige bug with the undo function a few months ago, which was fixed, so it could be that having negative prestige is no longer possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Charly G
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Charly G » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Thank you.

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 am

I think disbanding should instead reduce the final score, not the prestige on hand, i.e. if a player achieves BV with shooting several divisions of his own troops to get them out of the way, he should have a lower final score (and thus lower added campaign prestige) than if he did a DV without self-massacre. For example, achieving a BV in Uranus, the first scenario of the Stalingrad Soviet campaign, is probably impossible without disbanding units, but the player starts the campaign with 0 prestige.