Marginal Gains - new rules explained

Ask, comment, read.
Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Marginal Gains - new rules explained

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I've made a new blog post on the rule changes we're introducing in the upcoming expansion:

https://unityofcommand.net/blog/2012/10/ ... nal-gains/

Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Cheers! :)

Stahlgewitter
Colonel

Re: Marginal Gains - new rules explained

Unread postby Stahlgewitter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:25 am

Very interesting. Wasn't expecting to see Estonia, is this the first indication the whole war in the east is under active development? :shock:

One thing - rather than add the extra complexity of a sliding prestige penalty for disbandments, why not just restrict disbanding to (say) weak units and/or units outside enemy ZoCs? Is there even one example from WW2 or elsewhere when a division sized unit in good order holding a crucial section of the front line just received orders to disperse and cease to exist?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:14 am

Well yes, this new expansion covers (almost) all battles in the 1943-45 period. And it's awesome ;)

re: disband, I was toying around with different variants of the rule and this looks to me most practical. We need to allow some disbands because of frustrating (and gamey) situations where e.g. a weak friendly unit is blocking a number of full strength corps or something.

At the same time, you're right that disbanding something like a full strength division or corps is highly unrealistic. It's therefore higly penalized - 200 prestige is a lot. Should it be outright prohibited? I don't think so at the moment. I'm open to discussing this on the beta group though, preferably over a (non-contrived) usg where you can show me a concrete problem in a real life game.

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:14 pm

In my view, the disband command in the game doesn't necessarily depict an order handed down to make a formation cease to exist, but rather situations where German units forcibly removed their allies' foot troops from the way for faster progress (be it urgent reinforcements for the front or a retreat) or chased them out of a village to occupy the houses themselves. Or when a weak unit dissolved on its own (soldiers throwing down their weapons and fleeing from the battlefield).