PLEASE HELP version 1.0.4d & Steam

Post your technical problems here.
lgreen666
Second Lieutenant

PLEASE HELP version 1.0.4d & Steam

Unread postby lgreen666 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Please help! I let steam upgrade my UoC [Stalingrad and Red] and now it won't work - irrespective of whether steam is running or not [I usually don't have it running] I now get the following error message:
ERROR
Failed to initialise the Steam API

I'm running this on a iMac 10.9 and UOC is my favourite game and this is really annoying me that I can't play it anymore

Please help

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: PLEASE HELP version 1.0.4d & Steam

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Spooner will be on this in terms of fixing the issue with Steam (and I believe it has to do with Steam, not us strictly speaking).

In the meantime, if you need to play RIGHT NOW ;) you can always email support at unityofcommand.net and we will set you up with a non-steam version. Please include your steam receipt and your product key (CD Keys in the steam library).

Cheers!

lgreen666
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby lgreen666 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Many thanks... have sent email with requested information...

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:24 pm

We changed the executable to integrate with Steamworks in the last couple of days, in order that no user will need to manually input a CD key into the game if it is run from Steam (Not too useful to you immediately, of course, since you have already put in your keys, but would save a bit of fiddling if you reinstall the game or get Black Turn DLC in the future).

I'm not sure how you are starting the game and I suspect that this might be the cause of the problem. Before now you were able to just click on the uoc executable directly (or a shortcut you made yourself to this file) and it would work fine, since it was pretty much the same as the exe we ship in our non-Steam releases and didn't care about the existence of Steam itself. If this is the issue, then you should be OK if you start it from inside the Steam client or have Steam "create desktop shortcut" for you and start it from that, which will start the client automatically for you when you start UoC.

If it matters a lot to you, the game doesn't need Steam to be running after it has started up, so you can safely close the Steam client once the game has loaded.

I do hope this solves your problem, but if not, please get back to me and I'll take another look.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm

We've just pushed a fix for this issue. You still need to have Steam running to start UoC (unless you use a Steam-created shortcut, which will start Steam for you), but you can start it with either Steam or directly via the executable/app.

lgreen666
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby lgreen666 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Many thanks - it does work with Steam running...

Very much looking forward to Barbarossa/Black Turn!