[PC/Steam] Crash on Game Start

Post your technical problems here.
Nightmoss
Second Lieutenant

[PC/Steam] Crash on Game Start

Unread postby Nightmoss » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Downloaded the game yesterday and it crashes every time I try to start it. No readable text, just boxes on screen. Here's the crash report:

steam\steamapps\common\Unity of Command\library.zip\widgets\stock.py:65: PangoWarning: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'
steam\steamapps\common\Unity of Command\library.zip\widgets\stock.py:65: PangoWarning: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

Running Windows 7, 64 bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: [PC/Steam] Crash on Game Start

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:31 pm

The log basically says the fonts are not there.

Is this on Steam? Perhaps you should verify your game files, sometimes Steam drops something.

The fonts should be in etc/fonts.

Cheers! :)

Nightmoss
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Nightmoss » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:The log basically says the fonts are not there.

Is this on Steam? Perhaps you should verify your game files, sometimes Steam drops something.

The fonts should be in etc/fonts.

Cheers! :)

Greetings:

Yes, this is on Steam. I've verified game files several times, deleted local content and re-downloaded the game three times and also backed up the files for good measure.

The only files showing in the etc/fonts Pango folder are pango.aliases and pango.modules. There is a second fonts folder with 12 individual Liberation font files.

So the fonts the game needs are missing or somewhere else?

Thanks.

Nightmoss
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Nightmoss » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Here's something else you can add to the picture.

I just downloaded the UoC demo from your website. Installed it and tried to launch the game. I get the very same square boxes instead of readable text, and the same game crash?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm

In that case, it clearly isn't a Steam issue.

Can you please check whether any of the following environment variables are set on your machine: FC_CONFIG_FILE and/or FC_CONFIG_DIR

To check this, go to Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advanced System Settings and click on the "Environment Variables" button.

If these environment variables are set, they might be telling fontconfig to look for fonts in the wrong place.

Nightmoss
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Nightmoss » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:03 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:In that case, it clearly isn't a Steam issue.

Can you please check whether any of the following environment variables are set on your machine: FC_CONFIG_FILE and/or FC_CONFIG_DIR

To check this, go to Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advanced System Settings and click on the "Environment Variables" button.

If these environment variables are set, they might be telling fontconfig to look for fonts in the wrong place.

Thank you for the continued help.

Neither of those variables were set in the Environmental Variables. Quite a few listed but not the ones you've listed above.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:00 pm

No problem. Please do the following to list all your environment variables:

1. Open All Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt

2. Type this word at the prompt (and press ENTER afterwards):
SET

3. Right Click in the Command Prompt window, then go to "Select All"

4. All text in the Command Prompt window will now be selected. Press ENTER to copy it to the clipboard.

5. Paste this text into your email to support at unityofcommand.net (please do not post it here on the forum)

Cheers!

Nightmoss
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Nightmoss » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:No problem. Please do the following to list all your environment variables:

1. Open All Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt

2. Type this word at the prompt (and press ENTER afterwards):
SET

3. Right Click in the Command Prompt window, then go to "Select All"

4. All text in the Command Prompt window will now be selected. Press ENTER to copy it to the clipboard.

5. Paste this text into your email to support at unityofcommand.net (please do not post it here on the forum)

Cheers!

Done as requested. Thanks again. Best!

mrclean92124
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby mrclean92124 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:05 am

Just wondering if you tried setting your desktop resolution to 1024x768 before launch. I noticed I was constantly crashing (not on load like you) until i dropped the display resolution from 1900x1200. Now the game is MUCH happier and zero crashes.

Developer suggestion: how about a full screen resolution selection option in video settings?

Nightmoss
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Nightmoss » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 am

mrclean92124 wrote:Just wondering if you tried setting your desktop resolution to 1024x768 before launch. I noticed I was constantly crashing (not on load like you) until i dropped the display resolution from 1900x1200. Now the game is MUCH happier and zero crashes.

Developer suggestion: how about a full screen resolution selection option in video settings?

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried resetting the resolution and the game still crashes on launch (square boxes instead of text are still present at either resolution).