Linux version crashes during Intro scenario

Post your technical problems here.
moragos
Cadet

Linux version crashes during Intro scenario

Unread postby moragos » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:40 pm

I've downloaded the linux version from your site (not via steam), the version is 1.02DEMO, the tutorial went fine but when I play the intro scenario it crashes from time to time (sometimes during first turn, sometimes during second or third turns). It appears to happen as I move soldiers, but nothing specific.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 64b.

glxinfo | grep -iE "direct\ |client|opengl"

Code: Select all

direct rendering: Yes
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11903 Compatibility Profile Context
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.20
OpenGL extensions:

lspci | grep -i vga

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Madison [Radeon HD 5000M Series]

uname -a

Linux shy-HP-ENVY-14-Notebook-PC 3.5.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 13 17:48:01 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Log displays:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 66, in <module>
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.app", line 33, in Run
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.root", line 648, in Mainloop
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.base", line 231, in Handle
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.controller", line 151, in handle_event
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.controller", line 147, in _dispatch
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.widget", line 1042, in OnMove_selected
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.widget", line 1058, in update_sheet_selected
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/dispatch.dispatcher", line 349, in send
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/dispatch.robustapply", line 47, in robustApply
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.app", line 101, in Slot_COMMAND
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.app", line 2166, in command_sheet
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.sheets", line 63, in __init__
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.sheets", line 168, in render
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.sheets", line 536, in totals
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.stock", line 83, in render
cairo.Error: invalid value (typically too big) for the size of the input (surface, pattern, etc.)
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.app", line 33, in Run
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.root", line 648, in Mainloop
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.base", line 231, in Handle
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.controller", line 151, in handle_event
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.controller", line 147, in _dispatch
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.widget", line 1042, in OnMove_selected
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.widget", line 1058, in update_sheet_selected
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/dispatch.dispatcher", line 349, in send
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/dispatch.robustapply", line 47, in robustApply
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.app", line 101, in Slot_COMMAND
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.app", line 2166, in command_sheet
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.sheets", line 63, in __init__
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.sheets", line 168, in render
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.sheets", line 536, in totals
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.stock", line 83, in render
cairo.Error: invalid value (typically too big) for the size of the input (surface, pattern, etc.)

BTW, looks like a great game. I am looking forward to a version working on my machine so I can purcahse full game :)

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Linux version crashes during Intro scenario

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:18 pm

I've had this reported before and I know what triggers it - when you attack a unit with a total strength of zero, cairo (the software renderer) will crash. I don't know why it happens and it seems to be rare.

I'm pretty sure I'll get to the bottom of this once the DLC is released and I get a bit more time. In the meantime, if you're thinking of buying on Linux, please do try the demo first to see if everything works on your particular distribution.

moragos
Cadet

Unread postby moragos » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks,
Is there anything other way I can contribute to the solution of this bug?
Since it does happen constantly when I run the game, I'll be more than happy to run a debug version and send you the logs.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Honestly, I don't know. I believe it has something to do with mixing up 32 and 64 bit libraries, so if you're handy with ldd and strace, you might be able to tease something out of it.

FWIW, the game works without a hitch in Wine. You can try that as a temporary measure ;)

nicktime
Cadet

Unread postby nicktime » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:13 am

Same problem here, happens both with Steam demo-version and with demo-version downloaded from site (v102DEMO).
Ubuntu 12.04 x32 with XFCE

glxinfo | grep -iE "direct\ |client|opengl"

direct rendering: Yes
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11627 Compatibility Profile Context
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.20
OpenGL extensions:

lspci | grep -i vga

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Juniper [Radeon HD 5700 Series]

uname -a

Linux qdesk 3.2.0-34-generic-pae #53-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 15 11:11:12 UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Crash log on attacking unit with all steps suppressed:

Crash log on choosing unit with 'N' icon:

File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/widgets.controller", line 153, in handle_event
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.widget", line 284, in OnClick_view
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.widget", line 317, in _vsel_create
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.app", line 2168, in command_sheet
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.sheets", line 554, in __init__
  File "Unity of Command DEMO/build/build/pyi.linux2/uoc/out00-PYZ.pyz/game.sheets", line 996, in render

In the saved file all-suppressed unit and 'N'-icon unit are next to each other in the middle of the war front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rofon1
Newcomer

Unread postby rofon1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:40 pm

same here. does ur post mean, that the problem is solved with "red turn - dlc"? would be another reason to buy it;)
or are u now going to solve it?

nicktime
Cadet

Unread postby nicktime » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:30 am

Works for me in full version, also some time ago when I checked in demo it was ok too. Make sure you use the latest version.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:51 pm

I've tested this in Ubuntu x64 and Fedora x86 and in both cases, the linux demo (1.02DEMO) is broken and produces the same errors as you've had. However, on these systems, the full version of the game (1.04a, with or without DLC, on or off Steam) is fine.

Special thanks to nicktime for the save-game which consistently produces the error in the demo (but doesn't cause an error in the full game).

moragos
Cadet

Unread postby moragos » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:44 pm

thanks for the update.